Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Axle pinion oil seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 14:16    Post subject: Rear Axle pinion oil seal Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I have just noticed an old leak on my rear axle pinion oil seal. I have had a look at some info on replacing this oil seal, and it says the bearing spacer needs to be replaced as well.
Perhaps some one who has done this job could advise me

Regards

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 14:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 17:26    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle pinion oil seal Reply with quote

I haven't done this job, but a 'Bearing Spacer' is usually a 'crush spacer' which collapses progressively in line with the torque of the nut that holds the drive flange.

You will have to remove the drive flange in order to replace the oil seal, so its normal to replace the spacer and then torque the flange nut up to the correct tension.

I haven't done it, but the theory is straightforward  Wink.

Bob.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 19:57    Post subject: Oil seal on back axle pinion Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Thanks for the info. I have had a look on several websites, the oil seal is listed but not the spacer. Do you think it would be possible to mark all the bits. replace the oil seal and replace in the same position to complete the repair.
I will have a look at my torque wrench to see if it goes to 180 pounds feet.

Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who have just replaced the seal with success, BUT I wonder if it is short term success, diffs are far more dependant on their setup than most people realise....  

I would try and measure anything else you can (backlash/free play etc) and mark all the shafts positions before you do, if you do that is, and try measure anything you can after to see if all is the same...
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31    Post subject: Re: Oil seal on back axle pinion Reply with quote

locodriver65 wrote:
Hi Bob
Thanks for the info. I have had a look on several websites, the oil seal is listed but not the spacer. Do you think it would be possible to mark all the bits. replace the oil seal and replace in the same position to complete the repair. Paul

Paul,

Looking at the Parts Diagram, I think the spacer is Part #41231 -

This is what determines the pre-load between the two taper-roller bearings on the drive pinion shaft.

The Part Numbers are here:

It looks as though one has to strip the diff in order to replace the spacer  Shocked - So I suggest you do as DaveWall has suggested and measure everything, replace the oil seal and then torque the companion flange nut back to its intended torque. The taper-roller bearings may be worn, so the nut may turn more than before when torqueing-up. If the rear axle is noisy afterwards you may have to go back to square one  Rolling Eyes.

You will need a way of holding the companion flange as you undo/do-up the nut. I have made a locking bar out of a 3ft length of 5mm thick steel flat bar with two holes for locking bolts and a central hole for the socket.

Best of luck with the job  Wink .

Bob.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 20:42    Post subject: Oil seal on back axle pinion Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Thanks for all the info.
Yes you are correct, the inner and outer parts of the front pinion bearing need to be removed in order to replace the bearing spacer. Toyota have listed some special tools to do this.without removing the front of the housing.
So I think I will try the mark it up method. Noted the nut may want to tighten a little more if there is bearing wear. (that's if I can get 180 pounds feet on it). First thing is a new oil seal.

Thanks again I will let you know how I get on

Ok on the locking bar picture.

Paul
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:08    Post subject: Re: Oil seal on back axle pinion Reply with quote

locodriver65 wrote:
(that's if I can get 180 pounds feet on it).

I use a Sealey 3/4" drive 'Certified' 50-300 ft/lb torque wrench. I bought it for Ifor Williams Trailer hub bearings that are torqued to 260 ft/lbs, but I use it for all the large jobs.

Getting it up to pressure when lying on my back under a car can be a strain  Shocked.

Good luck with it.

Bob.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 16:15    Post subject: Pinion Oil Seal Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Not to happy with Milner 4x4. Ordered oil seal from them almost two weeks ago. Oil seal not arrived after a couple of days so gave them a ring. They said its been posted, leave it a couple more days. Phoned again after three more days. The bloke said, do I want to buy another seal we have plenty in stock. I said no I would like the one I already purchased.
There was no offer of sending out another.

Looks like Finding another spares outlet.

Regards

Paul
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have switch to RoughTrax for exactly this reason - they don't have quite as comprehensive number of parts - but the quality of the parts is far superior too.  

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=1020&vid=217   £6 including vat  - go to the home page and check this is the one for your vehicle though
locodriver65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:14    Post subject: Pinion Oil Seal Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Yes. I have done just that. Ordered one from Roughtrax. Its a bit more money £8.40 including P and P . I missed their post yesterday. It should arrive Thursday.
Do Milner 4x4 read this Blog?

Regards

Paul
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 16:08    Post subject: Oil seal on back axle pinion Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Well I have managed to change the oil seal on the back axle pinion. With the truck on a pair of ramps, plenty of room underneath to get at stuff. removed prop shaft back end only.
I made a locking bar to stop the pinion turning when undoing the pinion nut. Hole centres in flange are 60mm... Dia of bolts 10mm. I marked up all the parts noted position of pinion flange relative to groove to lock nut. Counted number of turns 10.5  unscrewing nut. Removed the pinion flange no puller required just tap with hammer. Removed old oil seal. cleaned up all the parts fitted new oil seal and assembled in reverse order. Tightened nut to the same position as before. Managed to still use the indented nut edge to lock nut. Refilled oil in diff.
Had a drive all seems OK no problems so far.

Thanks for all your advice

Regards

Paul

Ps STILL NO OIL SEAL FROM MILNER 4X4.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did with mine many many moons ago and I haven't had any problems.

Roger
colineddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Great post Reply with quote

Thanks for this post.

I see it is from 2014 but all these years later I am going to do exactly the same job.

I am glad that you didn't need a puller - since I don't have one.

How easy was it to get the old seal out and new one in? On a youtube video I saw it was hard and needed a collar the right size to drive the new seal in but I did the seal on the front diff out to the propshaft and the seal went in super easy.

I don't know if you guys remember or a new reader can comment.

Cheers
DaveWall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip the old one out any way you can as your at the point of no return by then LoL...  

Ideally you want a collar that sits perfectly on the seal to push it in nice and square, but the real advice is just go gentle, I always smear a bit of red rubber grease on them and they push in easy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: