Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Toyota Landcruiser rear direction indicators stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 18:21    Post subject: Toyota Landcruiser rear direction indicators stopped working Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Wonder if anyone has seen this before and can help?

Both my rear indicators have stopped working at the same time.  It happened a couple of weeks back the morning after we had a load of bad weather here.

Strange thing is, the lights themselves work - they flash on hazards and when the central locking triggers, but neither work when trying to indicate left or right.

I've had a look through the fuse boxes but can't see anything obvious,  I'm assuming there's a short somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

The car is fitted with a tow-bar and corresponding electronics, I've not taken that apart yet, but I have had issues in the past with this causing the rear fog lights not to work

Anyone seen anything similar?

Many thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 18:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect 1) bad/shorted towbar connections in the socket, 2) bad towbar relay (in the jack area), 3) bad flasher relay - not sure where thats located.

Can you plug a trailer board (or something similar) into the trailer socket to see if it works then?
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, assuming you have a Toyota towbar kit, check your towbar fuse in the main fusebox.  

I think if that has gone, it could knock out the towing relay which would stop your indicators at the back.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound suggestions from Karl, as towbar wiring is a general source of problems.
IIRC there is a fuse for tow bar wiring in that same area Karl has described, in the jack cubby where the tow bar wiring connection/relay is located. Mine has a foam sleeve around it to protect from knocks etc and is tucked amongst the wiring in there on the left.
You don't say what year/model you have, but if it is the one with rear lights indicators in the bumper, as opposed to side column where only the brake lights function, you may need to look there. These bumper lights have a seperate metal shroud on them that traps water thrown up from rear wheels, and they eventually rot out. You can gain access to the bulbs, (just),  but to actually get at the metal shrouds/plastic light units, the rear bumper has to come off.
Look at the previously mentioned options first (easier) as the rear bumper removal can open another can of worms,
Nuts and bolts seized then snap off, brackets rusted through to twist and snap when bolts are turned etc these are mainly in at the back/underside of the bumper under load area. The large plasic clips on the wrap around bumper sections come apart ok with some fiddling
Hopefully it won't come to that.
karl2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice!  Good thinking about that fuse in the jack cubby.  Thats a smaller size fuse than the one in the front, so would probably blow first too!!
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers folks,
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have a poke around when I get a dry few hours here and let you know how I get on...

It's a 54 plate, so lights on the side and in the bumper, the indicators are low in the bumper, but as I say the lights work when on hazards and when the central locking fires, so I'm assuming there isn't a problem there as I wouldn't have expected both sides to go at the same time.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking tow hitch, but is there a separate relay for hazards and flash then?  Wouldn't you expect it to effect the whole circuit rather than just both rears?  Just trying to understand Smile
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tractionman"]Sound suggestions from Karl, as towbar wiring is a general source of problems.
IIRC there is a fuse for tow bar wiring in that same area Karl has described, in the jack cubby where the tow bar wiring connection/relay is located. Mine has a foam sleeve around it to protect from knocks etc and is tucked amongst the wiring in there on the left.
You don't say what year/model you have, but if it is the one with rear lights indicators in the bumper, as opposed to side column where only the brake lights function, you may need to look there. These bumper lights have a seperate metal shroud on them that traps water thrown up from rear wheels, and they eventually rot out. You can gain access to the bulbs, (just),  but to actually get at the metal shrouds/plastic light units, the rear bumper has to come off.
Look at the previously mentioned options first (easier) as the rear bumper removal can open another can of worms,
Nuts and bolts seized then snap off, brackets rusted through to twist and snap when bolts are turned etc these are mainly in at the back/underside of the bumper under load area. The large plasic clips on the wrap around bumper sections come apart ok with some fiddling
Hopefully it won't come to that.[/quote]

Cheers folks!

The correct answer was the 10amp fuse in the rear where the Jack is kept.  Took the trailer socket apart and cleaned it up first, guessing it was mud and bad weather than lead to a short... but I'll find out if it all happens again...

Many thanks for the help... just need to figure out that the issue is with the other one now...
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done in sorting that mate, it's always nice to have a happy ending !
Even nicer to get feedback on cause and remedy that could help others, so many don't bother. Thanks ! 🤗
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tractionman"]Well done in sorting that mate, it's always nice to have a happy ending !
Even nicer to get feedback on cause and remedy that could help others, so many don't bother. Thanks ! 🤗[/quote]

These things are all about give and take, sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, was waiting for a dry day when I didn't have a dozen other things that needed doing Very Happy
healejohn0707

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:58    Post subject: further issues rear flasher problems LC4 D-4D Auto Reply with quote

Hi all, new to this. I have the same problem regarding rear traffic indicators. Does anyone have a picture of the location of the fuse in the jack cubby please? I  cannot see a fuse in there. My vehicle is an LC4D-4D KDJ 120K. Many thanks in advance.
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to hunt around a bit, I seem to remember its an in-line fuse, ie in the middle of a piece of wire,  So just fumble through the wires a bit and you should find it.

I think its a red wire....
(someone can confirm!)
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct Karl, 2 actually, 1 in and 1 out.
Yep, you may have to dig around the multitude of wires in there, mine is in line with and below the big red Victron relay behind that flap you take off, on the left.
healejohn0707

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 19:36    Post subject: further issues rear flasher problems LC4 D-4D Auto Reply with quote

Many thanks to all;  I finally found the fuse, it was in the "cubby" as described but mine was tucked in the upper left corner behind some of the steel panelling, just a loose fit but you need to feel for it. The fuse had indeed blown and with a new fuse I have rear indicators again. For info the fuse as I believe described, is a ten amp. Mine was a baynet / spade type but larger in size than the 10 amp fuses in the main fuse box. However one of the smaller dimension but correct amperage works fine. Appreciate all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: