Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Longer lug studs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:12    Post subject: Longer lug studs Reply with quote

Morning, as I mentioned in what is becoming “my build thread” I swapped wheels to steels, good fit although as expected I need a lift kit to avoid run on the front even after trimming the pinch weld, a lift was in the plan anyway as the original shocks are past their best.
The lugs on the front hub are a bit short though so looking for replacements. I found specs for the original ones as 45mm long so looking for 55-60mm ideally for replacement. Anyone have any suggestions?

Specs for the original ones are in the second picture on this link:
Roughtrax studs

I have found these:

Studs

But the spline seems to be 14.3 rather then 14.1
Not sure if that’s an acceptable tolerance to still make them fit…

Any advice or experience would be really appreciated..
Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Vagabond

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think longer studs are available from Milners Offroad?
MikeJak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I thought I had already checked but called them just to make sure and they only have original length. Same for roughtrax… keeping the online hunt…
MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone coming across this thread when looking for an answer…. The 14.3 spline/knurl studs fit the hub fine, they take a little more convincing then the original to seat but they work perfectly. Pulled in using two large nuts (as soacers) and a wheel nut to pull. I found some 63mm long ones and they end up a bit long, I think with steel wheels 55mm long would be the sweet spot.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as to why your needing longer studs for steel wheels?  

I haven't tried steels on my Colorado, but kinda always assumed the wheel being thinner would mean the studs would be plenty long enough... I'm guessing maybe because your going from nuts with built in washers to tapered nuts maybe you need more thread????
MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, I found quite a few people on Pradopoint that had the same issue moving to steels. It seems to be a well documented issue in Australia. Rear studs are ok but fronts are short. Not on all models, but of production variability there it seems.
The steels are indeed thinner but the standard nuts on the 90series alloys have the threaded part that extends in the alloys, well past the washer and bites almost level to the disc brake.
With tapered nuts for the steels I was ending up with 6 or 7 turns Engadget but the bolt still well shy of being level with the end of the nut. Made me feel pretty uneasy. Swapping the studs they now protrude about 10mm out of the nut. If one uses closed nuts they may never realise how few threads are actually engaged…
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange.... definitely worth swapping then.... I know exactly what you mean re the washered nuts being recessed into the alloy vs taper...

And yes definitely want the stud protruding beyond the fave of the nut as a minimum

I wonder why some were short....
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the short studs with my steels for years with no issues. The tapered nuts are very long - somewhat longer than the washer-type nuts - and the studs don't reach the end of the nuts.
MikeJak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may have been down to production variability/ what they had in the bin..my taperd nuts were really not engaging that many turns. They did not loosen in the days I had the mon but less then half the nut was threaded on… anyway was a cheap and easy enough job….
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: