Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2012 LC3 Fuels consumption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HuntersLodgeBrad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 13:12    Post subject: 2012 LC3 Fuels consumption Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have recently bought a 2012 LC3 3.0 d4d Auto LWB. It has been purchased as a work horse, dog car, occasional tow car etc so I am not precious about the car but I am rather startled at the fuel consumption. It doesn't seem to matter where or in what manner it is driven it consistently returns 20mpg. is this normal? mine is an ex police car that has been very well maintained and drives faultlessly. I have had it looked over and had a good report, so everything seems to be fine. I am not tight but £160+ a tank and 320 miles is getting rather annoying..
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 13:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex plod i expect it goes pretty well, first thing that springs to mind has it been breathed on a bit...and are you enjoying it a little too much.

Most running with my 120 auto returns about 25mpg, commutes and general knocking about, longer runs will get closer to 30mpg but you are doing well with an auto to breach the 30 ceiling unless you drive like a saint.
To get those figures you need to be fairly gentle on the throttle and, as you would with a lorry of any size, maximise how far you can drive with your foot off the throttle, and to keep the vehicle to 70 maximum on open roads.
Conversely if you use the quite surprising performance the 3 litre can provide and drive hard generally then don't be surprised to find the consumption down at the 20mpg level.

We'll assume everything is fine mechanically, but do check the front brakes especially, the front calipers are prone to seizing pistons, usually the lower inner of the 4 pistons will be the first to seize, any brake dragging will obviously adversely affect fuel.
Tyre type and pressures make a difference, unless the 150 recommended pressures are different from the 120 the standard pressures are 30ish all round, i and others have found the vehicle behaves better (certainly in warm weather) and is likely to meet less friction resistance upping the tyre pressures a bit, i'm running 35 psi.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per Juddian.
These vehicles do go exceptionally well and are heavy, but only need a light foot to keep them busy and the auto box working well.
I know fuel is a main point, and I can understand it being an issue (like ved) but I never check mine, filling up when needed and enjoying the drive. Deep joy !
BTW, I am not a millionaire, just a retired hgv driver who now has to pay for fuel at daft prices to see the world.

Plod had a Landcruiser? Bloody hell, they don't half get some perks !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: