All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LWB Lift question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 40mm lift, I would definitely recommend two things - add a little bracket to lower the routing of the handbrake cable else it is mega tight if you fully articulate the axle (I know 99% people wont have a problem, but that one time you drive up a bank or something you risk damage to it).

Also the flexi brake pipes yes, they cope BUT roughtrax sell slightly longer braided ones - a) will last for ever b) will cope again with the increased movement just incase...  

Also the ARB is designed to work best at a particular angle to the axle so ideally extend the Anti Roll Bar links by the same amount as the lift....

All very easy and just makes it all nice Smile

P.s. which of the OME Springs did you fit for those measurements out of interest??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to 'correct' the position of the ARB it is to replace (a) the rear ARB links with the ones intended for the front of the vehicle (they are longer) and (b) replace the front links with ones intended for the rear of a Nissan Terrano (also longer). These return your ARB to a neutral position with a 2" suspension lift, or at least to a closer-to-neutral position. Personally I'm sceptical about the need to 'correct' the ARBs, but I did so. I no longer have a rear ARB but when I did I can't say I noticed any difference!
Andyk80

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise Roughtrax did braided extended, thanks for the tip!  I was planning on getting some done on e bay probably, but Roughtrax are decent.

I was thinking something similar on the handbrake cable, it's very tight on mine.  I think I'll do that before it goes on the road.

Springs wise, I've gone for the Pedders shocks and springs from Roughtrax.  The shocks are on, but I've not done springs yet, only just got the truck started again in order to move it about the drive.

I'm doing a gearbox flush, and finishing off servicing the transmission over the next few days, then back on to fitting the rear springs.
Andyk80

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about the ARB links actually, I'd not even considered those.  Do any companies sell extended ones for the LC90, or are there ones from other models that fit?
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have some braided brake hoses kicking about if someone is after a set.... drop me a message
Andyk80

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Sorry, been a bit hectic here, just PM'd you.

Thanks,

Andy
MikeJak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggerdave wrote:
The easiest way to 'correct' the position of the ARB it is to replace (a) the rear ARB links with the ones intended for the front of the vehicle (they are longer) and (b) replace the front links with ones intended for the rear of a Nissan Terrano (also longer). These return your ARB to a neutral position with a 2" suspension lift, or at least to a closer-to-neutral position. Personally I'm sceptical about the need to 'correct' the ARBs, but I did so. I no longer have a rear ARB but when I did I can't say I noticed any difference!

that's a super tip, my ARB is not overly stiff after the lift but I'll keep an eye on it and swap them over, same about the braided brake lines, I'll look at upgrading the current ones when I renew the brake fluid...so much good advice around here!
Andyk80

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely missed that post, must have skim-read too fast!  I've just pulled my front bar and ordered bushes and links.  Just need to drill a pair of snapped bolts on the back bar mounts and I'll do the two at the same time.

If it's not likely to make much difference, I'll probably just install with the standard links for now and see how it goes.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am led to believe the idea is to get the arms of the ARB as close to horizontal as possible (neutral position). This is apparently better, for reasons that I can't remember! (It made sense at the time, but as I say I can't say I noticed any difference.)
Andyk80

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make sense to be fair, but I'm going to run with standard links for now.  I've got an overland trip coming up and there's plenty of other areas needing attention before hand.

I'll probably give the corrected angle a shot at some point next year though and see if it makes any difference.  I'm not a million miles away from finished with my current set of work but so much has changed, I'd have no way to tell what difference the links would have made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: