Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC3 120 series Diffs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 15:53    Post subject: LC3 120 series Diffs Reply with quote

Hi. Can anyone please confirm what type of diffs my truck has, Limited Slip Diff or Fully Lockable? Front, centre and rear diffs please. My truck is an LC3 120 series (Prado), manual 5 speeds, LWB, D4D engine, 2004, UK model. The reason for asking is because I never received a convincing answer, even Toyota dealers and many garages gave me contradicting info, even after I gave them my VIN. The confusion is mainly about the centre diff, some say is LSD others say is fully lockable. Please help, I need to know with certainty. Searched forums but couldn’t find the answer. Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 15:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the LC3 has a rear locking diff (not lsd) and normal front diff (no locking) and a torson centre locking lsd diff transfer case with the the lsd unlike the limited slip diffs that need lsd diff oils, all above that is if your LC3 is Euro spec .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you state its UK spec that makes it a Euro spec 120 ,
DanP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your answer Tony. What do you mean the centre LSD diff is unlike the LSD that needs LSD oil? Please elaborate.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited slip diffs need an additive in the diff oil for the LSD clutches in the diff , hence LSD specified diff oil .   the centre LSD Torson locking diff in the 120 uses standard GL5 75w-90 diff/gearbox oil so no need for the gear oil that LSDs call for that have the LSD additive  , hope that makes it clearer .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited slip diffs need an additive in the diff oil for the LSD clutches in the diff , hence LSD specified diff oil .   the centre LSD Torson locking diff in the 120 uses standard GL5 75w-90 diff/gearbox oil so no need for the gear oil that LSDs call for that have the LSD additive  , hope that makes it clearer .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry double post 🙈
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy done Tony - it's that delay after clicking submit, catches us all out at sometime. 😀
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your right tractionman and when your using your phone to comment its easy to double post  😃
DanP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, many thanks for your replies Tony. So the centre diff functions as a Torsen Limited Slip Diff permanently, and then gets fully locked when switching to low gear (yellow centre diff light on dashboard). Or the centre diff is open and switching to low gear activates the Torsen Limited Slip. Which one is correct?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes centre diff is limited slip permanently and gets fully locked when switching to low gear with yellow diff lock light on dash , on later 120s you turn on diff lock switch on centre console , it locks drive to 50/50 front and rear ,I dont know if in a older manual like yours if you can lock the centre diff in High speed gears , the later 120s you can by putting the stubby gearstick in H high  and press the diff lock switch on the centre console just as you can have the centre diff in L [low] unlocked and press diff lock switch to lock centre diff in low ,
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine, which I'm sure is standard, has High - High Locked - Neutral - Low Locked on the second lever.  All modes are four wheel drive.
DanP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tony. It’s all pretty clear now. Considering the info I gave above about my truck, do you think the diffs set up could be any different than what you said, or it’s unlikely? I’m asking because a manual 120 is pretty rare.

I’m also looking to change all diffs oils and according to what you said there no need to use LSD oil in any of my diffs. Can you confirm that?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes no need to use LSD oils in any of your three diffs , toyota specify 75w_85 gl5  oil  in the front and rear diffs and 75w-90 gl5 in the centre diff , I always use fully synthetic 75w-90 gl5 in all three diffs ,as in my oppinion 75w-90 gl5 covers a wider range , and being fully synthetic are far superior oil than the standard mineral based oil toyota specify ,and the only place you are likely to find 75w-85 gl5 oil is a toyota dealer and the price at the toyota dealer for the oil will be ridiculously over priced .
karl2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from Tony as usual!  I put this stuff in the rear diff, front diff and transfer box

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/toyota-4x4-parts/service-parts/fluids-oils/5-litres-fuchs-titan-75w-90-gear-syn-gearbox-differential-oil.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: