4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Possible water in gearbox A750F

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasparH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Possible water in gearbox A750F Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

Bit of advice needed if poss, my transmission failed (or at least felt like it) yesterday gearbox lost drive, put it back into P whilst standstill and then back into D (or 2,3) and it will move a short distance then lose drive again (along with some nasty noises).

Vehicle details are: 2007 Land Cruiser 4.7 Petrol A750F Auto 164k miles

Pretty sure it must be related to the cooling system as it was driving perfectly fine but just recently it had a new radiator, and from a brief look online other people mention a failed radiator causing water into the gearbox, is that right? If that's the case, would a new radiator solve the issue or do I need to check any other areas?

Hoping to get it drained today and see if it looks contaminated, then would be grateful peoples advice on how best to flush and refill as there seem to be different opinions on flush timings/processes...etc!

Assuming there is water in the gearbox, is it just a case of flushing the transmission or do I need to flush any other components?

Am obviously aware it may be too late and have caused serious damage, but very much hoping if it is this, and following the right procedure may save it....

Thanks all in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I wonder if whoever removed the radiator when they let it drain by the drainplug and disconnecting coolant hoses and the atf inlet  and outlet pipes and not taking note how much atf came out and thought the pink atf fluid that came out was coolant and did not know it was atf
and  fitted the new radiator added the new coolant and left the auto box short of atf , could be it just needs adding atf to the right level , If the auto box was running fine before changing the rad I can not see it running bad now unless the person who did the job did not add the atf that came out or poured coolant or water in all pipes to try to flush system not knowing that 2 of those pipes(inlet and outlet ) are atf pipes . Only way to find out if you yourself did not do the job is ask those who did the rad change if they knew about the atf inlet outlet pipes that connect to the rad .
andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to my 100 series, the top tank was leaking so had a new rad, but it didn't get a top up, some time later started making noise and wouldn't pull away in drive, although it did with using the gear lever in low gear, but by the time we sussed that it hadn't been topped up, the gearbox was toast.
I would drain the ATF and see if any water, if not check the level in the correct manner and top up if needed.

TONYCY11 wrote:
Hi I wonder if whoever removed the radiator when they let it drain by the drainplug and disconnecting coolant hoses and the atf inlet  and outlet pipes and not taking note how much atf came out and thought the pink atf fluid that came out was coolant and did not know it was atf
and  fitted the new radiator added the new coolant and left the auto box short of atf , could be it just needs adding atf to the right level , If the auto box was running fine before changing the rad I can not see it running bad now unless the person who did the job did not add the atf that came out or poured coolant or water in all pipes to try to flush system not knowing that 2 of those pipes(inlet and outlet ) are atf pipes . Only way to find out if you yourself did not do the job is ask those who did the rad change if they knew about the atf inlet outlet pipes that connect to the rad .

Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
CasparH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony,

Thank you very much for your reply, you could well be on to something there, it would make sense. I’m going to see him tomorrow and check out that theory.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy undo the drain pug on the autobox and see if there is water in the ATF it will look milky if there is coolant or water in the atf OR for a quick look if there is lost ATF undo the overflow plug 5 or 6mm allen hex (can not remember exact size coz never undone one I just put back in what I take out by draining sump without warming up the engine )  when engine is at not far off normal running temp if the atf is at the right a trickle of ATF should come out if nothing comes out ATF is low , any ATF you add MUST BE WS type atf . Try not to engage D or R at any time until you solve your problem as you risk killing your  autobox  .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have said leave the auto box in P at all times until you find out if ATF is at the right level . Also check for any signs any leaks at any atf pipes at the rad .
CasparH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok will do, many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: