4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Unidentifiable motor noise before starting the engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el3388

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:58    Post subject: Unidentifiable motor noise before starting the engine Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2006 LC4 and I am enjoying it very much.

A few days ago, I noticed some noise of a low speed (in the order of around 10 clicks in a sec) motor when the key was turned to the “On” position before starting the engine.  The motor noise was not that noticeable in the car but quite obvious when outside.  The A/C and fan was not turned on so the noise should not be caused by them.  The noise did not stop until I turned the key to the “Acc” or “Lock” position.  I tried to trace the source of the noise but couldn’t locate it by ears.  What I am quite sure is that the noise came from the front half of the car, so it was not likely to be coming from the fuel tank vent at the rear half of the car.  The motor noise was not that noticeable after the engine was started.  I am not sure whether it has gone, or it was just covered by the loud engine noise.  

I then tried to remove some fuses and found that the noise went away after I had removed the 20A fuse of #28 EFI (from the owner manual: Electronically controlled fuel pump, fuel pump, multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system.)  The noise was still there when I removed the 7.5A fuse of #35 ST2 (from the owner manual: Multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system.)  So, the noise was cased by the fuel pump.

However, what I understood is that the fuel supply pump (located under the hood) of my 2006 LC4 is mechanically driven.  Am I correct?   I then got stuck!

I will appreciate if any of you can give me your view on the possible source of the low speed motor noise based on the information I collected so far.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise is normal all 1kd- ftv 120 diesels make that noise , its the steppy motor on the turbo that makes that clicking noise when the ignition is turned on ready to turn the variable vanes on the turbo when the engine is started ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 Well done Tony, I asked you that just recently, spot on. Cheers mate.
John.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

😃👍
el3388

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,  thanks a lot for the reply and info but I am sorry that I don’t quite understand it.  

Is the “steppy motor” you mentioned the one attached to the turbocharger which control the vanes?  If yes, shouldn’t that “steppy motor” move in step instead of continuously turning and creating about 10 clicking sounds per second?  Can you give me a little bit more explanation on this?  What is the logic behind the need of the motor to turn continuously before the engine is started?
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise you hear is the steppy motor working BUT not engaged , the steppy motor engages the turbo when the turbo is spinning when the engine has started via the linkage rod that you can see at the side of the turbo that is to linked to the steppy motor , the noise you hear is not a fault it is normal . all 120s with the 1kd-ftv diesels make that noise when the ignition is on and if it does not then you DO have a fault .
el3388

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the explanation.   salute
wooly0000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that Tony really appreciate your knowledge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: