Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC4 severe body vibration below 50mph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyVS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 17:51    Post subject: LC4 severe body vibration below 50mph Reply with quote

Hi I am new to the forum and hope somebody might be able to help.

I have a 2007 LC4 KDJ120, which I have owned from nearly new (ex demonstrator). It has 160k on the clock and until recently has run faultlessly but now produces a severe body vibration when driving, at engine speeds of between 1200 rpm and 1600 rpm in any gear. It seems to occur on any type of road surface or condition. Once the vibration has started, it continues until engine speed is varied, even slightly. It does not cause the steering wheel to shake. The nearest I can describe the sensation is it is like driving on a washboard.

The engine mounts have recently been replaced, which has eliminated engine shake when idling but has done nothing to improve the body vibration described above.

If anybody has any ideas as to possible causes, I would be most grateful to hear them.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 17:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems its obvious its a engine related problem , and  what it sounds it could be one of 4 things if you have no engine light on the dash is , 1, if your map filter is blocked or cracked will give these symptoms . 2, if your maff sensor is dirty or faulty you can get these symptoms , and 3 , if the egr valve and inlet tract is blocked with carbon at the engine revs you state the egr is at its maximum operation and the throttle body type butterfly operation works to limit incoming fresh air so that the engine has no option but to  suck in the EGR gas , but if a lot of carbon has built up the restriction by the butterfly almost shuts off all fresh incoming air so the engine is starved of oxygen . or SCV needs changing ,  but at 160k miles it could well be all 4 above .  And at 160k miles if you have not changed the injectors they will certainly need replacing . hope that helps .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS it will be a good idea to change the fuel filter as well if it was not changed recently .
JohnnyVS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tonycy11

Thanks for your insight into the possible causes of the severe vibration experienced; I will certainly follow up your suggestions and hope that one or maybe all prove to be the solution.

You mentioned injectors and I can tell you these were renewed at 130k miles. I would also add that there is no indication of any loss of power or reduction in performance.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked prop UJ's for wear or grease ? Too much can be bad as not enough.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tractionman I agree about worn ujs can cause vibration or knocking , my opinion on these landcruiser propshafts  is too much grease is not a problem because once the ujs or sliders are  have enough grease any excess is pushed out passed the seals , infact I always pump in grease on mine until all the old grease is out and the new grease start to come out that is when I know the ujs have completly new grease in them ,and when driving any more exesse grease will get pushed out that you can wipe clean after the next time you have driven the car , with the sliders I use the moly lith grease I pump them until the sliders start exspanding a quite a bit if I carry on pumping grease starts to leak passed the seals but  I dont wait for that because the expansion will push out excess grease out after driving the car , hence getting under the car and wipe down aafter the first drive after greasing , I grease my ujs and sliders every 3k miles . I dont think most garages grease propshafts nowadays in a service unless the customer asks them to due to most carmakes claim that propshafts are greased for life hence why so many makes of cars have new props fitted due to wear .
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
Yep, always greased any UJ's until grease squeezed out, until someone told me too much inhibits the sliders from working properly and buggers seals.
Agree, it's the only way to know for sure how much is in there, or to know it is fresh, so will revert back to my original method confirmed by yourself.
Another learning day - thanks for your input Tony, your methods/opinions always well respected. 👌
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought after been told too much grease causes hydro locking of the props , until I was given a copy of toyota landcruiser factory workshop manual on CD as a present by one of my kids , it was for the 100 series (they thought there was only one type of landcruiser ) but it stated pump new grease in ujs and sliders until grease passes out of the seals ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍👍 Thanks Tony - it's official !!
Never doubted you, we go back too far, good info as usual, for others too.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂😂😂👍
JohnnyVS

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions for the cause of the extreme vibration, which became considerably worse following my original post.

It took a long time but thankfully the problem was eventually identified as the torque converter clutch, which has now been fixed.

Not a cheap exercise, so I hope it is a rare occurrence for other LC owners.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needing a replacement t/converter is highly likely due to lack of /not doing atf ws oil changers , in my opinion there is no such thing  as lifetime fluid , the life of the factory warranty maybe but not the full lifetime of the car . Flushed 10lt of synthetic WS through mine plus 2x300 ml platinum lube guard at 79kmiles will do the same again at 100k miles should have done it as soon as I got the car at 69k but was under the elution that it was like manufacturers say life time fluid , but they hide under the small print of under normal service conditions  .   now toyota recommend changing the atf  at between 60k-100k depending if the car is used for towing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: