4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Owner Maintenance Advice

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd, didnt Santa bring you that Telehandler fot xmas ? 😀
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 20:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Beekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a year of fettling I took the LC to Italy on a skiing trip.  By most people's standards taking a 19 year old vehicle on a 2200 mile round trip and 7000 feet up to a mountain village would be lunacy, however perhaps it's no surprise that it went without a hitch.  No faults, no oil needed, even hours on end on the French motorways didn't raise a sweat.  Not to say there wasn't a bit of work beforehand including a handful of ARB bushes for the MOT, a hard to locate vibration (front propshaft front UJ), and a power steering pump two days before departure.  We saw a couple of 120's on the way probably doing similar journeys, and a 70 or 76 series on the way back which looked more local.

Not bad for a still rather tatty looking LC that arrived without a clutch.  I'm having the last laugh at my work colleagues with their salary sacrifice EV's that can't even get 200 miles without a charger.  The LC can get to Italy with only one refill on the way if necessary.  OK I topped it up a little more often but doubt I spent more than 30 minutes in total filling up over four days, and that included arriving back with a full tank.

So thanks to all who've given advice over the last 12 months, it's really not too difficult to fix the basics on these.
Ibex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Pleased to hear it all went without a hitch. I'm currently discussing taking my own 2006 LC5 down to a spot just north of Rome in June, a trip of 2500miles, plus the inevitable sightseeing runs. There'll be 4 in the car but the comfort, air suspension and front and rear aircon, I think it should be ok.  I'm looking forward to the trip!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good update Beekeeper 👍
Glad it went well, and shows what these older motors can do with regular maintenance. Well done ! 😀
wooly0000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beekeeper i have an 2004 Lc and have just swapped caravans to a much larger one, had a few worries about it coping with the extra weight and the extra mileage, should not have worried at all she takes it all in her stride, I change the oil and filter every 5k and put 2 stroke in the fuel and she still runs like a dream.
RobS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survived a year with my 2006 LC5 (113k) - so much good info on the forum. Did the shockers - didn't make much difference to the ride - then did front upper and lower control arms made a huge difference. Sorted the aircon in time for summer with just some super seal from Halfords and some gas - been fine now for a few months. Did the LED's interior and exterior (learnt about hyper-flashing! - had to get some turn indicators with built in resistors). Passenger seat recline and driver lumbar switches weren't working but over the months just sprang buck to life. Self-repairing seats.

Finally got Techstream to work after buying 2 cheapie diagnostics that wouldn't talk to the vehicle. I still have a 2006 J120 in South Africa (owned from new) and they worked fine on it which is odd.

From Techstream injectors seem to be pretty shot - Engine Load is at 29%, Injection volume at 11,7 and Main Injection Period around 740 but jumps between 650 and 850. So that is the next headache.

Couple of questions:
1. what are the views on adding 2 stroke oil to the Diesel - seems like quite a few do it  - maybe would extend the life ?
2. Anyone manage to get an injector kit from Fourby4Diesel in Australia - they seem pretty organised
3. I live near Reading - any reco's on a good mechanic who could do the injector job for me?
4. I still haven't managed to track down an instruction manual for the 2006 radio/Satnav in the LC5 - any links would be appreciated!

TIA
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those figures from techstream  with the engine at full operating temp 83 - 85c with all electrics turned off (fan , lights,radio etc)at idle (around 700rpm)
if so yes your injectors are well and truly worn out .   I had my a/c  stop working because of leaking gas after around a month of me filling it soon after I bought my 120 back in 2015 as it must have been regassed just before I bought it   and I regassed it and it lasted around a month before a/c stopped working so I used stp superseal and regassed it in july 2015 and a/c still works well now and we have temps upto 40c so we need a/c . I used superseal and regassed my sons wifes Suzuki grand vitara as it would not hold its gas longer than 2 weeks 2 years ago and that still works fine aswell .if you have a slow leak from dried up seals superseal will solve it . If the leak is from cracked pipes or corrosion superseal will not fix that only fitting new pipes will fix it .
RobS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - yes it was done at 84 degrees and everything off. I tried to link a photo but says I'm too much a Newbie ! I still have the short SCV so going to change that so at least the pressure isn't all over the place. On the a/c I think it was just lots of dried o-rings it was a Scotland car so I guess was not used that much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: