4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Diff oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
500SEC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 19:24    Post subject: Diff oil Reply with quote

Some diff questions:-

Would my 96 4.2TD's rear diff be LSD ? Front is just a regular diff, right ?

What oil do you guys use in front and rear diffs (brand, viscosity etc). Manual says SAE90 for rear, when LSD, and doesn't make it clear whether either or both have LSD.

Where can I obtain Castrol oil in this country ?? Only found one supplier on the web. Halfords certainly don't stock anything other than Castrol engine oil, and only one litre containers of their own brand of gearbox oil.

I checked the rear diff oil last weekend and it was nice and crystal clear. However, the front diff oil was contaminated with what I presume is steering knuckle grease that's probably entering through a bad axle seal.

Cheers,

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 19:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got locking diffs? Have you got the rotary diff lock switch on the dash to the left of the steering column? If so, then you don't have an LSD. If no locking diffs, then there should be a tag on the diff to tell you if it's LSD.

Normal diffs use 80W/90, and the transfer 75W/90. I just get mine from the local motaquip factor. You can get a 25 litre drum of motaquip engine oil for £30 as well.

The front diff oil always seems to go black, possibly from the birfield grease. But in theory it would be more likely the diff oil getting into the birfields and then leaking out around the hub, so who knows. I simply change all the fluids every year, including coolant and brake fluid. None of the fluids cost much in real terms, so what the hell.
500SEC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has difflocks with the rotary knob you describe.

Thanks for the reply.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too found my front diff oil 'contaminated' with moly grease from the knuckles.When I unscrewed the filler/level plug I noticed a hissing sound.Not sure if it was air rushing in or built up pressure getting out but when I checked the breather tube it was blocked solid! This could obviously help moly grease get past the seals if the pressure in the diff casing dropped in cold weather.Check those breathers!!

I filled the diffs & trans.. with some 80/90w carlube oil from the local car spares shop.So long as it's manufactured to the required spec you'll not go far wrong.

I agree with you DaveN.I can't see the point in paying £60.00 for 10 litres of the best fully synthetic oil unless you're going 10-12K between oil changes.Extended drain intervals was one of the main design briefs behind the development of fully synthetic oils.I reckon changing fully synth every 4-6k you're just wasting money.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
500SEC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the breather tube located ?

I heared a hissing noise at the transfer case when the fill plug was removed for checking the oil level. But no hissing noise when removing the diff plugs. I read about this somwhere but can't remember where !!

Here's an article on contaminated diff oil, and there's a link in this link to breather hoses.
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/diff_gear_oil.html

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: