4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcrusier

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave you say that there are only two sizes that can be bought if there is such little differance in size would it matter which ones i bought,what size did you use?As for getting the oil analised i dont see the point in this instance because the bits i found where large enough that i could see them clearly and they looked exactly like the bits in the link, i think this is one job that needs doing for sure.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 23:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aftermarket suppliers normally only have a couple of sizes, standard and 25 thou oversize for if the crank has had a regrind. But is no crank or rod can ever be exaactly the same sizes, toyota match the journal and rod sizes to slightly different sized bearing shells.

So if the crank journal is slightly small, and the rod slightly big, then they select a thicker bearing size that will give the correct clearance. There is actually very little difference between the toyota sizes, so aftermarket stuf just aims for the middle size, so some will be slightly tight, some a little looser, but all will probably end up within the oil clearance tolerance stated by toyota. It's just that toyota aim to be right slap bang in the middle of the tolerance, hence the numerous sizes.

It's your call really, but I would just stick with the genuine stuff of exactly the correct size. It's a bit more messing around, but you will then know it's spot on. You can also re-use the rod bolts, but I just played safe and replaced them. Can you just imagine checking and re-using the rod bolts, then have one decide to let go?

How do you post a photo here, so I can show you my bearings?
billybear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that dave,yes it makes sense to change the bolts it would be pointless doing the job just to have a bolt fail.Sorry m8 i i dont know how to put pics on forums perhaps a few of the other guys will educate us lol.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you need to host them somewhere and then put the URL of the picture between the img tags. Don't think you can upload pictures on this forum the way it is set up.

You may want to open an account on something like webshots and post them there, then link to here.

Or you could log onto my website (address in my signature) and link to them like below.

billybear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed big end bearings and am i glad Dave said to check them,will post photos soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: