Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BIO DIESEL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towpack

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 17:38    Post subject: BIO DIESEL Reply with quote

Just found a local supplier of bio diesel.Running @ 50/50 mix at the moment and the LC seems to run fine,the only problem so far being the smell of the exhaust maked me hungry! The guy selling it said I should be OK to run 100% bio (it's from fully refined/recycled used veg oil).I know there are several people on this forum running bio so I'm just curious about any adverse affects of running bio that you may have come across.I know about changing the fuel filter after a couple of tanks,thinking more about any fuel pipe/pump seal leakage issues here.

Cheers

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011

Last edited by Towpack on Thu Jun 12, 2008 19:01; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 17:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bio fuel is like brake fluid in that it absorbs moisture from the air, I would advise fitting a water/sediment bowl into the line from the tank, also engine oil changes should at least be halved to about 2500 miles, I'm very sceptical of the bio-fuel issue, also beware of a build up of algee in your fuel tank , they look like a black jelly. We have Tier 3 tractors with common rail engines that will run 100% bio , but power is slightly down as is specific fuel consumption, if you take into account the cost of the extra oil and filter changes then you have to be doing a lot of miles to make it pay, also older FIPs are prone to developing leaks as the fuel attacks the seals  . Only my opinion, and many swear by various concotions of diesel and veg oil, if you going to use 100% bio make sure its produced to a recognised repeatable standard.
m0jpm

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good produced biodiesel is better for your engine as lubrication is better than mineral diesel, unfortunately the quality of biodiesel varies. YOu can however test it yourself quickly if you have good biodiesel by taking a jar half flilled with water, fill up the other half with bio and close the lid. shake it and if you have good biodiesel the water and oil should separate within 1 min. the oil must be clean and clear, if not.... dont fill up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: