4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Big End Bearings......availability???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 22:45    Post subject: Big End Bearings......availability??? Reply with quote

Finally decided to check the big end bearings to try and identify a strange clicking/ticking noise I get occasionally.Pretty sure it's exhaust related but checking the bearings for piece of mind.Dropped the sump,got the bearing numbers from the crank/rods and phoned the dealer.He checked with Toyota GB and apparently only 4 of the bearings I want are in stock and there are only 2 big end bolts in the country!!!The rest will have to come from the Toyota distribution centre in Belgium!He reckons I MIGHT have them for next weekend so fingers crossed.
The engine internals looked pretty clean,no sludge and no trace of any metal particles anywhere.Maybe I'm wasting my time & money but..............just to be sure!

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 22:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

billybear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Towpack
I know its a ball ache to do all the work and find everythink is o.k but at least you will have peace of mind when its all done.On the other hand if you do find wear on the big end bearings you will also be happy that you checked them.
DaveN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem getting mine. I guess it doesn't take many people like us to screw up their stock projections. Until the web/forums came about, I bet they never sold a single bolt.

So you've still got the noise? Me too, but it does seem to come and go. Sometimes, if I accelerate up a bit of dual carraigeway with a car alongside, it makes a hell of a rattle, but you can only hear it with the window open. I was wondering about engine mounts, as on max torque the engine is trying to twist off one mount (nearside), so I had a look at mine and tried to prise it up with a big prybar, but it wasn't busted.

As you say, it does sound like a leaking manifold gasket. I looked at mine, and it was leaking. It's a bit of a pig to do, but that didn't cure it either. Are you running a standard exhaust?
Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust looks standard,genuine Toyota.The front pipe was brand new,fitted by the dealer I bought the car from.I just can't figure out why the noise comes and goes.Although it's a metallic noise it sounds really 'tinny',just like a loose exhaust baffle or something but it does seem to be coming from the front.I'm trying to locate the nearest 4x4 rolling road with a view to doing a test run with the bonnet up to try and pinpoint the source.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
ianp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have this noise too. I have been ignoring it on the grounds it doesn't sound like anything serious - it doesn't sound even enough if that makes amy sense.

Ian.
91 HDJ81
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: