Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Big End Bearings Changed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 18:49    Post subject: Big End Bearings Changed Reply with quote

Fitted new big end bearings today.Trying to find the source of an unusual clicking/ticking noise but new bearings has made no difference.Wasn't a waste of time and money though as No.6 bearing didn't look too good.The journal looked OK.Slight wear/polishing on the rest.The surface of No.6 looked sud-standard compared to the others,suffereing from pitting in addition to the score mark in the centre.

http://uk.geocities.com/phil.swann@btopenworld.com/Bigends.jpg

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 18:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pitting looks like our old friend. I was under the impression that Toyota had changed the material in the later engines, hence the superceded part number, but it looks like you've got the start of the pitting problem.

How many miles has it done? It may be that the pitting looks worse than it is, but to me any pitting is a potential failure sooner or later.

I wonder what causes it, as it isn't abrasion or oil starvation. A guy on one of the aussie sites reckons it's the oil additives (or lack of them) in oil sold outside of Japan. He says diesel oil in Japan is made to a certain spec, and as a result they apparently don't have any problems, wheres only a very few oils sold outside japan meet the same spec. Sounds plausible, though the Japs don't tend to do as many miles as the aussies. Some blame the higher temps in aus, but in theory the engines run pretty much the same temperature wherever they are in the world (88 deg).

Doubt it will make any difference to your noise though. I did mine twice, as I only really noticed the noise after I did them the first time, so fearing the worse, I did them again just to be sure.
Towpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running your finger over the bearing surface you can just feel the pitting in the surface.No doubt it would have got worse if left long enough.They've done 51k.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just changed mine this afternoon. Took about 3 1/2 hours total, nothing wrong with the bearings I took out at all - looked almost new with just a very light scoring on two (looked like what would happen if you ran a bit of 600 grit wet and dry over them).

Still at least I know they are good now. Also meant that I sealed the slight leak on the sump.

Wasn't a bad job at all, hardest piece is getting the sump back on without damaging the silicon bead.
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's surprising there is no pitting on your shells, Lucky. Just goes to show the unpredictability of it all.
500SEC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, very interested to read you note about the ticking noise, as I have that too. I have just finished a 3500 mile drive, and I too considered engine bearing replacement, since reading the aussie site. The noise sounds like the flint ignitor on a gas hob - with a frequency of 2-3 seconds, no patten. It's especially audible when parked next to another car.

Btw, at 60-65mph, the TLC was sipping diesel @ 33mpg, mainly freeway, some towns, high tyre pressures (40psi), Falken All Terrains standard tyre size and luggage for two weeks. Best recorded was 34mpg.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
500SEC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some information I found on the bearing issue from an Oz site, centres mainly on the 12 valve engine and dates back to 1999.
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/80bigend.htm

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
Hilux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sounds like the flint ignitor on a gas hob - with a frequency of 2-3 seconds, no patten

A frequency thats over 2-3 secs cannot be engine speed related in any way.

Its the gearbox I think, mine does it all the time, dunno what it is but if they are all doing it then its probably ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: