All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My bit of Heaven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:37    Post subject: My bit of Heaven Reply with quote

I know this may not look heavenly to most of you. However, me and the boss have bought a few acres of Norfolk and a bucket and spade (or two!) to muck about.

The kit comprises an amazon, horse box and small tractor (plus various tools and attachments). The tractor goes in the horse box and the amazon pulls it. The trailer also provides a very basic mobile home so we've got somewhere to eat and sleep while away from home.

This is us a few weeks ago parked at the edge of the field. I haven't summoned up enough courage to try pulling the trailer across the field for fear of getting the whole lot stuck!

This is the amazon on its own which gives you an idea of the size of a 12 acre field - it's about 250 metres by 200.

And this is the back of the trailer with the ramp down so you can see what it carries

The tractor is a small Italian job with a 22hp twin cylinder air cooled diesel engine. It sounds like an old cement mixer on steroids. But it has low ground pressure tyres which and a low centre of gravity which hopefully means I won't finish up upside down in a ditch intimately wrapped in tractor parts. I use it to carry stuff around the field in a bucket attached to the 3 point linkage at the back, to pull a harrow to prepare the ground for planting and eventually to operate a large-ish lawn mower called a topper to keep the grass and weeds down. There's none at present.

The trailer weighs about 2 tons and the tractor just over half a ton so the whole package weighs about 3 tons including assorted tools. As the amazon weight 3 tons loaded with odds and ends (I weighed it), the whole rig comes out a about 6. It drives fine if slowly. The trailer is keen to take control at speeds over 50 so I haven't tried rushing! The downside of the whole package is I am getting somewhere between 12 and 15 mpg at present (before you ask it's diesel).

So, there you are. I had to get my own field to justify owning a fire breathing dragon. Trouble is it's turned into a shire horse on wheels - but I still love it.

Willy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mbw13

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one mate  Very Happy

Is that tractor a SAME by any chance? Same colour and from Italy.  Wink  

A cousin of mine imports the SAME and KUHN brand into NZ. Drove a SAME Explorer some time ago. Was a back to basics tractor, but could handle anything and everything thrown at it. Pleasure to drive instead of having all that electrical rubbish  Rolling Eyes

Mike.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:19    Post subject: Tractor Reply with quote

No, it's a Goldoni. It's got a Lombardini engine which gets used in all sorts of equipment so it's possible that your tractor has a similar engine.

Willy
Bushpig

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked out your rig and equipment Willy.

Boy, what a bit of lateral thinking can achieve. I think you've got a marvelous set-up-------------and most of your equipment serves a double purpose as well.

Well done.

I wish you an extremely pleasant future, enjoying all the benefits of your own piece of outdoors .

With that big pig of yours, I don't see you ever having any problems getting back home.

Enjoy.

bushpig

"I think there's nothing quite so pleasant as messing about with a horse-box and a gut-wrenching Landcruiser" (quoting Toad with slight poetic license )
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

It gives me nightmares though from time to time, but what would life be without a few worries?

Willy
100rob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willy, I'm curious!  Why is your front RH fog light blanked out????  Rob.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you two answers to the blanked out fog light. The first is that Toyota wants £80 for a replacement (the bulb had fallen out and it was full of mud when I bought the car - corroded to nothing inside). The second answer is that I've never found fog lights a lot of use. If the fog is bad enough to need extra lights to see where I'm going, I stay at home!

So, my solution was to keep the £80 in my pocket for another day and spray the lens of the broken lamp with matt black paint to look like a blanking plate.

Call me cheap!

Willy
100rob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that makes sense!.  Funnily enough my fog light on the same side has gone the same way, if I can't find a secondhand replacement before too long I might just blank off both units.  Good idea Willy!!!

Rob. Idea  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: