All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Dash indicators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Griffith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 22:48    Post subject: Dash indicators Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how I can replace the bulbs on the dashboard?
I cannot seem to find anyway to get at them.
Hope someone can help,
Phil
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 22:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Haynes manual you need to get the instrument cluster out.Remove the plastic surround/cover (a couple of screws and some clips),and this reveals 4 screws holding the cluster in.Remove these and pull the cluster forwards to get to the bulbs.You might have to disconnect the speedo cable and some electrical connectors at the back and maybe the steering wheel if you can't get your hands in there.The hardest bit will probably be doing it without cracking the plastic surround or breaking the locating clips.

Good luck.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Phil Griffith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil.
I have tried that way, but the wood surround either side does not seem to want to come out, I will try again.
Can the wheel come off without any harm to the airbag?
I have the Haynes manual, but have found it pretty useless as it just states to remove everything without being specific - more a generic instruction that would cover any car.
Regards,
Phil
DaveN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need the factory manual that shows where all the screws and clips are. But you can still end up cracking the 'wood'.

Be careful with the airbag, there are specific precautions when handling these. You'll also need to replace all the bulbs while you're in there, as invariably others will pack up with the shock of being exposed. Also, have you seen how much the bulbs cost?
Phil Griffith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,
I can imagine the bulb price from Toyota! I just hope they are standard ones.
I have only had the LC a couple of weeks, but have already given up on my local Toyota dealer. Disinterest and silly prices - quoted me £22 for a cigar lighter element - same thing on my Honda was £6 for the genuine article.
Need the drivers window switch, am going to look on e bay at spares for other Toyotas, most Japanese switch clusters seem to be the same manufacture, just finding the same layout.
Must admit the LC is making maintaining my Range Rover seem like a walk in the park Surprised
Oh well, better go struggle with the dash Confused
Phil
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil.

You can get the cigarette lighters on e bay. For normal service items get them from www.milneroffroad.com

Once you have all the little things sorted hopefully maintaining it will be a walk in the park compared to a rangey - main thing is that LCs are just built stronger and go wrong very infrequently.
Phil Griffith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,
Feeling very pleased with myself, dash out and done, plus a few other jobs.
Bit happier about the old girl now Smile
I will post some instructions, might help someone else.
Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: