4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bio fuel conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leslie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 15:50    Post subject: Bio fuel conversion Reply with quote

Seriously looking to put the Landcruiser Prado on Bio fuels probably looking at 100% new rapeseed oil.
I have done serious research on the subject,Based on the quick fix method i.e 50/50 mix and thinking thats it,but not realising the long term damage that is being done.
So based on the research I have done the German company Elsbett recommend there single tank coversion kit.
Have any members converted there vehicles correctly, or is the Ostrich method being applied.
Bookers  20lt @ 55p litre.
Lidl 68p per litre

Leslie
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 15:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 18:40    Post subject: Diesel Bob Reply with quote

His web site lists several type of diesel engine injector pumps with their suitability for using with bio-dieal or vegetable oil/diesel mixes. If you can identify your pump type you might find this interesting.

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.asp

The older type of inline pump is pretty robust and can handle veg oil but be careful if you have a more modern type, e.g. electronic (fly by wire).

Willy
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold our old 93 merc 300d earlier this year to a guy who owns a chocolate factory, reckon he could afford a much newer one but wanted this one cause it had a bosch inline pump and wants to run it on the veg oil thats a byproduct of his factory. Wonder if it smells of chocolate when you follow him .
Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 22:06    Post subject: Re: Bio fuel conversion Reply with quote

Leslie wrote:
Seriously looking to put the Landcruiser Prado on Bio fuels probably looking at 100% new rapeseed oil.
I have done serious research on the subject,Based on the quick fix method i.e 50/50 mix and thinking thats it,but not realising the long term damage that is being done.
So based on the research I have done the German company Elsbett recommend there single tank coversion kit.
Have any members converted there vehicles correctly, or is the Ostrich method being applied.
Lidl 68p per litre

Leslie

I met a couple of guys just a few weeks ago that run their Land Rovers on Rapeseed oil. Neither of them run it on more than a 80% mix.

Whatever you end up by doing I hope it works well for you Smile
Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 22:07    Post subject: Re: Bio fuel conversion Reply with quote

Leslie wrote:
Lidl 68p per litre

Leslie

I met a couple of guys just a few weeks ago that run their Land Rovers on Rapeseed oil. Neither of them run it on more than a 80% mix.

Whatever you end up by doing I hope it works well for you Smile

EDIT.... Sorry everyone for this repeat post. This stupid site has done this to me before Confused
Ian-P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have converted my 80 Series to a dual fuel system. I bought my set up from http://dieselveg.com/ in Wolverhampton. They sell a two tank kit with the return line looped back to the pump. I wasn't happy with having a plastic tank in the boot, so I bought and fitted an OEM auxilliary tank and dual filler, fitted two return lines and a second fuel filter.

These kits can be quite costly, and a fair saving could be made if you sourced stuff yourself, and were able to sort out the electrical side of things. The Elsbett system is meant to be good, but I'd suggest doing a fair bit of homework before you choose.

Good luck, Ian.

Forgot to say that I'm running on diesel and waste vegetable oil that has been filtered to 1 micron. The oil has settled for 3 months, with no visible settled water, but I've recently had a diesel bug problem indicating the presence of water, so I'm in the process of rigging up an immersion tank in which to heat the oil, which should solve my problems. The other solution is to put the oil through a centrifuge, but they are expensive!

Last edited by Ian-P on Wed Nov 21, 2007 16:39; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 13:33    Post subject: Good Kit Reply with quote

Thanks for the Dieselveg information. I've seen these kits on American trucks and 4X4s and they seem to work well if used properly - i.e. running on garage diesel for a few minutes before shutting down. This is the first time I've seen a UK company offering the full kit for using straight vegetable oil in a diesel engine.

I should mention for anyone wondering about this that bio-diesel is a chemically processed vegetable oil, not the stuff straight from the chip shop! The bio-diesel is a lot thinner than the veg oil and doesn't need heating (other than in cold weather) so that it can be injected into the engine correctly and without damaging the pumps and injectors. However, this kit lets you use the chip shop oil without treating it first other than filtering out the old chips before you put it in the fuel tank.

Most of the bits are to pump the thick unheated oil from the existing fuel tank to a heater and then key parts of the fuel system like the filter and injector pipes are also heated so that the veg oil stays thin and runny.

If the comments about the oil gelling seem a bit over the top remember that veg oil makes a workable varnish if left on wood for a few days. Left in a hot engine you can imagine the result.

There is a changeover valve to allow the car to start (when cold) on garage diesel and the changeover to veg oil when the engine is warm so that the injectors and the injection pump don't have to force the cold oil into the cylinders. The hot veg oil can be injected as a fine spray like diesel oil and therefore burns cleanly while cold oil would come out as a series of blobs burning badly and eventually damaging both the pump and injectors.

If the price of the kit seems a lot check the price of a new injection pump.

Willy
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to have a twin tank system for diesel and vegatable oil with the intention of using diesel to start the engine and the veg oil once the engine is warm you will have to remember to switch to diesel before you shut down to purge all the veg oil from the system. this will mean cleaning all the pipes filters pumps high pressure pipes and injectors. Just switching over in the morning wont work.
radiomans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I run my 96 3ltr Prado on 100% veg oil without any probs.
I have a glowplug type heater (vow2d+) from www.Vow2.co.uk
and a heat exchanger (HE3) from www.BioTuning.co.uk

The glowplug heater is fitted just b4 the IP, this heats up the veg oil very fast and makes it alot better to start on veg oil in the cold mornings.
I have worked out that i only need the glowplug heater on for about 5-8 mins, by this time the water in the engine coolent is up to about 70 deg.

I have made a timer that is trigerd when u put the ing on, this then turns off the glowplug heater, saving batt and glowplug life.
The heat exchanger is fitted b4 the fuel filter, this helps the veg oil pass through the filter without cloging it up

Hope this info is of use to someone.

Radiomans
KZJ90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiomans wrote:
Hi

I run my 96 3ltr Prado on 100% veg oil without any probs.
I have a glowplug type heater (vow2d+) from www.Vow2.co.uk
and a heat exchanger (HE3) from www.BioTuning.co.uk

The glowplug heater is fitted just b4 the IP, this heats up the veg oil very fast and makes it alot better to start on veg oil in the cold mornings.
I have worked out that i only need the glowplug heater on for about 5-8 mins, by this time the water in the engine coolent is up to about 70 deg.

I have made a timer that is trigerd when u put the ing on, this then turns off the glowplug heater, saving batt and glowplug life.
The heat exchanger is fitted b4 the fuel filter, this helps the veg oil pass through the filter without cloging it up

Hope this info is of use to someone.

Radiomans

Thanks man.

Do you use any auxiliary pump? What kind of fuel select valve, how it is connected?

Do you have any pictures of your conversion? Do you use used oil (WVO), if, how you filter it?
*water-intercooler + chip
*3" down pipe + exhaust
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: