4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Diff breathers, anyone??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 22:56    Post subject: Diff breathers, anyone?? Reply with quote

So, my pimped-up diff breathers arrived today from Aussie ...

Guess what I'm up to on Saturday then Smile

Got a total of 4 - should just about do the lot with that!

Besides finishing the tavle, fitting the CB and fitting the ASFIR bash-plates (mre photo's to come Smile )
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 22:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear how you get on fitting them and what's envolved.  Could do with some myself.  It's not so much a car you need around here during the winter, rather a submarine Shocked
Had an interesting incident recently on the way to the local mart.  Just as the bow wave was nearing bonnet level, I remembered that I had a trailer full of lambs on the back.  Had to speed up to make the water level lower behind the car.  It gave the lambs feet a good clean anyway.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strewth Gary, I just used some fuel hose from the local car shop. Took the breather cap of, stuck it in the end of the tube and connected the other end back on to the axle. That looks like a substantially over engineered solution to me. Nice but, solves something that's not really much of an issue in the first place for most. I have to say that I only did front and rear diffs, I didn't bother with the two on the transfer box under the gear levers. They looked as though they'd cope on their own.
Looking forward to the pics though. See you at Lincomb.

Crack on

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - but it keeps me out of mischief and out the firing line Smile
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain what the bits are? - Yes, thank you, I have worked out that the blue stuff is pipe. What are the two blocks? Is the little thimble the ultimate air cap? Why are there an odd number of nuts and bolts?
I guess that the hose is a push fit onto the 4 couplings.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mostly blue stuff???  Twisted Evil  Laughing  Laughing

Yep - ok, as you've noticed, the coiled up blue stuff is a semi-rigid high-temp hose that it's allegedly impervious to oils and fuels and other nasty chemicals (waiting to see about that one  Very Happy )

There are 8 push-fit fittings - 4 are on the anodised (blue, you may notice  Wink ) aluminium brackets, and 4 are loos - one's on it's side.  These are meant to be replacement fittings to screw into the existing diff / tfr case / gearbox (still need to check that they fit  Shocked ).

The (blue) hose is a push-fit into these (and damn snug, too, as I found out on a 'test' push!!

The blue anodised things are the mounts, with a flush-fit allen-key bolt to secure to a handy point in the engine bay, to a roll-cage, etc.  The (lighter blue  Laughing ) thimble things are an industrial filter to prevent muck going back down the pipe - e.g. dust etc.

They also kindly supplied 16 cable ties and 2 rolls of hose (although only one is shown in the picture ...)  They also kindly supplied 2 x brass fittings which I didn't include in the pic, which will allow me to replace an original breather with one of the brass ones, which have a right-angled pipe-out fitting, and which will take one of the stainless housings that seem to have a teflon-type 'stuff' (the white coating) on it and allow the hose to be routed horizontally immediately, rather than a bend after going out vertically.  We'll see ...

Hope that makes sense?  And not too blue (no relation to Jacqui Smith, or her husband  Laughing  Laughing )

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
I didn't bother with the two on the transfer box under the gear levers. They looked as though they'd cope on their own.
I guess you do anyway but I'd keep an eye on the state of your oil then   Very Happy   On an 80 the gearbox and transfer box breathers terminate in the engine bay basicly as open pipes. What happens on a 90? I also just used fuel hose but it's definately not as posh as Gary's kit  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 90 you have a little thimble which is crimped on, so it will lift but not come off. It has foam in it as a filter. When it's down, water can't get in. I raised mine 'cos it sounded cool. Frankly though, it think it's not necessary. especially without a snorker fitted. Just how deep can you actually get without one of those, added to which, in this country, if the water is that deep, your diff etc is hardly likely to be that warm. However, I admire Gary for fitting them. I'm about to fit more useless stuff to my 90. Why? Well why not!! Nice one Gary. Go for it.

Here's a shot from an old post.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
I'm about to fit more useless stuff to my 90. Why? Well why not!! Nice one Gary. Go for it.
I think paying good money for power coated black sparkle wheels ensures my membership of the 'maybe I didn't really need it but I wanted to' club  Laughing No stones in this glass house  Very Happy

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 21:47    Post subject: Membership Reply with quote

1st class honours!

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: