All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie hello with a few observations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanners

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 19:10    Post subject: Newbie hello with a few observations Reply with quote

Hello to everyone on the forum.

As a Newbie I am just writing on a few issues which as an owner since 1999 ( vehicle now at 148K miles) I have experienced first hand and which have appeared on this forum. Just my two cents worth then and only intended to assist.

Firstly to the Big End Bearing issue I changed mine some 4 years ago. Good job I did!! At that time Milners did not provide the ACL Bearings which are probably superior to the OEM. However the key issue is that the clearance must be checked when fitting any bearing shell best undertaken in situe by using Plastigage. If not then and if clearances are over value and outside spec then there may be some oil pressure reduction afterwards. I notice that someone used what was described as "standard" clearance ACL's if that is the case then clearance checking becomes more important both to insure that they are neither too tight or to wide. I am not sure if ACL offer a range of shell sizes.

Another important issue is valve shim clearances. These should be checked as the clearances REDUCE over time. Shims can be changed by using the SST but one of these can be welded up quite easily. The Toyota SST is extremely expensive and manufactured a little too much on the large side to be effective.

I also note some discussion on front wheel bearing failure. In fact they work loose quite easily and lose their preload giving the appearance of failure. The solution which has lasted on my 80 for some 15K miles came by way of using a few turns of PTFE tape under the first 54mm locknut. Correct bearing preload setting is important as is tightening of the outer nut and tab lock washer.

Finally the sporadic ticking noise at low revs often heard outside the vehicle or with window open while driving near a wall or similar. On mine and a great many others this resembles a random noise similar to the cooling of the exhaust system following turning off the ignition. I believe it emanates from the exhaust manifold which is jointed and has made the same noise on mine both before and after BEB change.

Kind regards

Martin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 19:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin

I remember you from another site, and I emaled you a couple of years ago about my BEB's, and you sent me a picture of yours. Glad to have you on board.

Intersting what you say about the exhaust manifold, as mine had a leak at the main gasket. Thinking this was the cause of my ticking, I swapped it, as well as the 2 rings between the two parts. But it still ticks just like a manifold leak.

I also spoke to you about the valve tool, and in the end I used a small piece of steel that just sat between two buckets. I then used a pry bar under the camshaft to push down the piece of metal and buckets. It only slipped once and skinned my knuckles, so wasn't too bad. Plenty of tight clearances though, so worth doing.
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin
You are right about slight loss of oil pressure after doing BEB's, i used standard ACL's from milners & now i have slightly reduced oil pressure.

Welcome to site by the way.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: