NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Anyone using MAXXIS Bighorns on their 120?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 13:48    Post subject: Anyone using MAXXIS Bighorns on their 120? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm leaning to putting on MAXXIS Bighorns on my 120 instead of BFG ATs simply due to price (£80 each vs £140 each  Shocked )

Is anyone running 265/70x17 MAXXIS Bighorn tyres?  If yes, any comments on them, or comparison to BFGs?  How well do they do on-road, and are they better than BFG ATs off-road?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 13:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Glenn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary they look like Mud Terrians to me is this what you want?  if I were you I would save up a bit more and go for the BFG all terrains,(a known and proven item)

from Glenn Stockton Laughing
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put 265/65 17 General Grabber AT2s on the car and they are absolutely superb in every way.  I cannot fault them at all yet, and I haven't read any bad comments elsewhere about them either.  Unbelievably good in the recent snow, in fact they tend to lull you into a false sense of security because you just tend to forget that the snow is slippery at all.
Much cheaper than the BFG.  I got them for £95 each although admittedly that didn't include fitting.  The guy had said though that he would do 5 for £500 fitted!  Pretty good I thought.
I wouldn't mess about with the Maxxis for the sake of £20.
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Maxxis tyres and find them very good. But mine are Creepy Crawlers in 35/12.5/16s. Gary have you looked at the other tread types? Have a look on the .com site as it shows a lot more. You can get them all over here in about 24 hours.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Gary they look like Mud Terrians to me is this what you want?  if I were you I would save up a bit more and go for the BFG all terrains,(a known and proven item)

from Glenn Stockton Laughing
As poor as I am, I have to agree.
I would rater wait just a little while longer to make the money.
At least when your out with the Mrs, and you get (if) a puncture, imagine if you had the cheap tyres on, I know my mrs, would give me too much verbal !
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Maxxis are almost as good as the BFGs, from the others that I know they last almost as long. You also have the MT-754 Buckshot Mudder, but the AT-771 Bravo Series AT tyre is more a road tyre.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV.aspx
and
http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Extreme-Off-Road.aspx

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all sorts of digging around and reading tyre reviews and quizzing people in South Africa, UK, Oz and the States, I've finally decided to go with the Cooper Discoverer STT tyres in 265/70x17 121/118Q tyres.  Their pricing is in-between Maxxis and BFG.  BFG don't do muds in this size, and I think the ATs, while good, are not as good for general off-road use as the MT tyres - especially in mud and, suprisingly, sand.  For example, a lot of my friends in Cape Town go to Atlantis Dunes regularly and all swear by BFG MTs or Cooper STTs - the side lugs act as 'paddles' in the soft stuff.  The Cooper STTs, whilst 'mud terrain' have a very good on-road reputation, and outstanding off-road reputation, and are not quite as radical in design as the MAXXIS Bighorns.

Damn expensive, though  Shocked  good thing they last a  long time  Confused  Very Happy

So - 4 (maybe 5) tyres on order - will have them for Lincomb, and itching to see what the 120 will do with new rubber and a working centre diff  Laughing

Next - the Snorkel!  Then back to Wales and that river....  Wink
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
After all sorts of digging around and reading tyre reviews and quizzing people in South Africa, UK, Oz and the States, I've finally decided to go with the Cooper Discoverer STT tyres in 265/70x17 121/118Q tyres.  Their pricing is in-between Maxxis and BFG.  BFG don't do muds in this size, and I think the ATs, while good, are not as good for general off-road use as the MT tyres - especially in mud and, suprisingly, sand.  For example, a lot of my friends in Cape Town go to Atlantis Dunes regularly and all swear by BFG MTs or Cooper STTs - the side lugs act as 'paddles' in the soft stuff.  The Cooper STTs, whilst 'mud terrain' have a very good on-road reputation, and outstanding off-road reputation, and are not quite as radical in design as the MAXXIS Bighorns.

Damn expensive, though  Shocked  good thing they last a  long time  Confused  Very Happy

So - 4 (maybe 5) tyres on order - will have them for Lincomb, and itching to see what the 120 will do with new rubber and a working centre diff  Laughing

Next - the Snorkel!  Then back to Wales and that river....  Wink
Hello Gary,

Well I also came to a similar conclusion.

The SST.

265 x 70 x R17

there was a few in Aus. that said the side wallse were weak, but generally, they were up there at the top.

I might buy 6 of them, so depending on how much you can get them for, is the start point for me.

Please let me know where you eventually get them, and the cost.

'vette
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit of digging - the STTs are not easy to find in Scotland, but this was my final successful attempt:
TyreSpec

Their prices were the best, too, and e-mail response is great.

This site is a great review site:

Tyre Guide

And some of the info in here

Tyre Choice

was very ionteresting too.  Very American-biased, but hey, you can't have everything....  There's not a lot out there in 17" tyres, and I'm a bit loathe to take an angle-grinder to the brake calipers to go down to 16" rims )by about 8" section width)  Shocked .  Then there's spacers and all sort os of nonsense, as well as suspension lifts, which I can't do - yet  Wink   Working on something there, though, to get around TEMS!

Anyway, hope that helps.

Cheers
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put STT's on my D-Max, basically because that's all I could get locally. They're nothing special as far as I can tell. Seem to be lasting quite well, but more noisy than BFG MT's. They seem to have a funny low speed noise, especially noticable when pulling up at a junction.

I like the BS on the Cooper website about the siping. When you look at the tyres, the sipes don't actually go to the edge of the tread block - they're actually just a groove. As far as I'm aware, if the sipe doesn't go to the edge, how does the water get ejected?

Given the choice, I'd have just stuck to BFG MT's - better the devil you know, I guess.

For winter tyres I have Cooper M&S with studs. Again, they don't seem anything special, and came last in a recent winter tyre test (admittedly without studs). But I don't like the mess that studs make to the car, so will be looking for something else before next winter, probably BFG AT's, and run them all year round.

Just in case you think I've got a downer on Cooper tyres, on my 80 series, the winter tyres are Cooper ST with studs. For some reason, that seems to be a lot more sure footed in the snow and ice. I don't know why, because the ST's are quite chunky, more mud like, than the snow/ice style of the M&S.

Ha, may even go for a set of Grabber AT2's!!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Good old BFG muds were my first choice. World renowned for many, many years.

They just don't make them any more I think

BFG want to sell you the 'Unknown' KM2.' also a mud, but with a very 'crawler' type tread.

For me, I would, like you say, stick to the devil you know.

I can't help feeling BFG might have shot themselves in the foot, by not making the 'tried and tested' mud available.

'vette
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cooper Discoverer STT 265/70x17s (121/118Q OWL - Light Truck) arrived on Wednesday morning,and I'm getting them fitted this afternoon.  Will post pics and impressions as we go along ..  Look the dogs danglies, though, so hope they work at Lincomb!!  Laughing
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 22:53    Post subject: Now - my new Coopers! Reply with quote

So - have the Coopers on for a while now and they're great....

Old Dunflop on rear:

New tyres loaded and ready to go ...

One-on-one comparison:

New Cooper on rear:

Now to use them in anger Smile
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to put the white letters to the inside on my LC.
These are my BFG daily road tyres.
With it being quite new stilll.

I got these for play days, and I think I will put the white letters on these to the outside.

'vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: