Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

off roading with auto box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodoldboy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:19    Post subject: off roading with auto box Reply with quote

driving through a woodland the other day i came to a very tight , off camber ,downhill turn - perfect place to turn over my colorado! my hi-lux , in low first would go down no problem ,almost like being lowered on a winch but in the colorado i ended up braking (big no-no i know) as i was going too fast to make the turn. any tips?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you'd locked it into Low in low range?  If not, that's what I do on my 120 and it works a treat - better than DAC (downhill assist control), which takes a while to engage (but then is outstanding).  Essentially you need to get it to go on it's own under max. engine compression. Using a handbrake 1/2 applied also helps a bit ...
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add from Gary's comments, did you put the gear selector in its lowest setting (i.e. "Low" as per Gary's question)? If left in "D" it could have selected a higher gear hence the lack of engine braking. An auto is never going to be as direct as a manual in terms of applying engine braking but in low range Low gear, it's still pretty good.
Maybe the tyres were slipping or skidding?

Cheers,
Andrew

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v

Last edited by Desperatezulu on Fri May 08, 2009 13:59; edited 1 time in total
Lumbering Jack

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found with autos (I've never driven an auto cruiser yet though so could be wrong on this one) that they need a bit of throttle when going down hill as otherwise you almost free wheel?  Could this cause something like mentioned above?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 'run-on' issues I've heard of is when auto is left in 'drive' instead of being locked down to 'Low', resulting in a runaway vehicle down the hill - NOT fun  Shocked  Wink

My rule of thumb is to ALWAYS engage low ratio, and to lock down to 'Low' when off-roading and coming to a steep(ish) descent - no point in causing any damage to anything (I have IFS, so no bump 'n grind over obstacles for me - I plough straight into them when the wheels disappear upwards  Laughing)  - always remembering the old tenet - as fast as necessary, as slow as possible ...
goodoldboy

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it was locked down into low in low box - ive been down the same way a few times and it gets less bum-clenching each time but i will try the hand-brake trick.thanks for the replyies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: