NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Grinding some of front caliper away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok am new here  so can some one tell me why some one wants 16" wheels on ....am asuming defalt here was 17" ?
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 18:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

paulh

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wider choice of tyres in the 16" rim size, perhaps?
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

leon wrote:
ok am new here  so can some one tell me why some one wants 16" wheels on ....am asuming defalt here was 17" ?

/
/
Hello Leon,
When the Prado's (LC2.3.4.5,VX GXL) all started to come out they were the reall biggish 4x4 to be produced with 17 inch wheels as standard.
It started in Aus. and many of the new Prado owners where wanting the wider range, and significantly cheaper 16 inch wheels and tyres.

It's much different now, 6 years on, as all (?) the biggish 4x4 are 17 inch, as  well as many of the pick ups. eg Navara.
The fly in the ointment was the so called 'swerve test aka moose test' and the Hilux pickups at the time came out with 16 inch wheels, but due to possible roll overs when doing the swerve, Toyots got all the owners to return and they were re-fitted wit 15 inch wheels !

In my case I have bought a set of Italian Speedline alloys.
17 inch and 8,5 inch wide.  and the damn things just catch the front calipers by maybe 1,5mm on the top, and just 1mm on the bottom.

So I will look at reducing some of the fat from the top and bottom of the front calipers.
On the bottom of the front caliper, it is just a casting 'seam' that needs making flush with the rest of the calipper, no no problem there.
On the top part of the caliper I will remove about 1,5mm from what looks like 20mm  thickness of casting.

'vette
leon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in your case Vette your going 16" for the nice wheels you have and not so mutch for tyre's or even moose dogeing  Razz  ?
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
leon

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh a side note is this you ?  http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2951
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

leon wrote:
so in your case Vette your going 16" for the nice wheels you have and not so mutch for tyre's or even moose dogeing  Razz  ?

/
/
er,  no,

I am putting 17 inch on, but there is not enough clearance between the inside of the rim and the outside of the caliper, the brake thingies.

Not all 17 inch rims have the same inner diameter, the lip / bead may be 17 inch, but the inner can be whatever the style of wheel dictates.

'vette
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing to remember, Vette, when you get your wheels balanced, if they use stick ons inside the wheel, the caliper will machine them off again. This happend to me on another 4x4. Didn't want knock on weights on my new alloys. Couldn't understand why they were never in balance.

Say, it looks like you truck is in the kitchen. Very good of your Missus to let you bring it indoors!   Laughing

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: