Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

swr reading problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:43    Post subject: swr reading problem Reply with quote

Hi All,

could anyone help with a cb problem?  I've just bought a Midland 78 and 1.5m Stinger with mag mount in prep for our trip to the Salisbury Plain.   I've connected it all up powering it through an auxilliary power socket.  I've put the mag mount on the bonnet as I currently have a roof rack on the top.  The Stinger claims to be pre tuned, but I also bought an swr meter.   All the kit came from the local Mapl... store.

I've connected the meter between the transmitter and the antenna.  I get a reading on channel 40 when I adjust the needle to sit on Set when in the FWR position and I get a reading of 1.8/1.9 in REF position.  Not the best reading but should be fine.  Now the problem:  I am not getting any reading at all on channel 1, not a flicker.  In fact I cant get any readings on channels 1 to 21.  22 upwards are fine.  The meter on the radio's display confirms this.  Is it likely that there is something wrong with the radio/antenna or might I have done something wrong?

There isn't much traffic on the radio down where I am - the few people I heard have not responded to my call for a radio check - but that may be that I am hearing them because they seem to be base stations rather than mobile.

thanks

Reinhard
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add on to the above - it seems that there are two frequency ranges for cb in the UK - the older 1981 standard and the newer 1996 standard.  The channels I am referring to above are the 1981 ones - the 1996 ones don't seem to work at all  Crying or Very sad

Which ones do we tend to use on club events?  Do we have a club frequency - official or otherwise?
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two blocks of channels are the UK and the European channels. A lot of european countries have their own CB frequency allocation as well as the pan european ones. All the CB's I've seen so far that do both have to be set for the country they'll be operating in on a menu somewhere. IIRC some CB's have an AM/FM switch still as well, you want FM. Most people I know use the UK channels but sometimes accidentally started off on another countries channels  Shocked

Check you're using FM on the UK frequency allocation first.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting back.  I've set the radio to the UK band and it automatically switches to FM.   The problem I am having is that I cannot get a reading on the swr meter for channels 1 to 21.  22 upwards seems to be fine.  I tried the EC channels as well but again, no readings there.  Both blocks of channels should work, as should the other Euro ones.  I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the radio.  I'll see if I can swap it in the store in the morning.  I've only had it for a week and only wired it up this morning.

thanks

Reinhard
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound like a fault in the radio then  Sad

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

I picked up a replacement radio this morning.  Plugged it in while I was still outside the store and it worked straight up.   Razz
Its annoying when you buy something that should work first time and it doesn't.  I spent quite a few hours going round in circles till I concluded that the unit must be defective.  But anyway its all sorted now.  Look forward to using it on club events.

cheers

Reinhard
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good result in the end then  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: