4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacement calipers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Replacement calipers Reply with quote

Sad Well, following on nicely from various recent discussions on front calipers, I decided to investigate my own last w/e as I was a bit suspicious of the front N/S in particular. (MOT on Sat 30th next). Sure enough, after a bit of poking around I concluded that the inner pistons were doing nothing and looked seized. To cut a long story very short by Sunday evening I still could not get them freed. The two outers seemed to work OK and one of the inners would move out, under duress I might add, but would not release enough to allow the wheel to rotate. The second inner was seized solid. After trying 'tnet most of the w/e I found a supplier in England who can supply OEM recon calipers with 2 year warranty. Ordered both sides, hoping I'd get a delivery on Tuesday as I needed the car on Wed. I didn't like to pinch wife's RAV4 and leave her stranded at home with 3 small nippers. (I was away in Lon from 0500 till about 2200). They sent me a message on Mon morning saying that they only had the N/S. I still kept the order and got a refund for the O/s that they didn't have.

In the meantime I tried every scrap and salvage dealer that was available in the Pages and they had none (rare as hen's teeth by the look of it). I was so concerned about having none by Tuesday that I contacted a Toyo dealer and eventually found one that was 40mins away and had them in stock. So I spread my cheeks and took the raping and bought both sides.  Shocked  Shocked Interesting to note though that the problematic seal on the originals has been upgraded considerably and looks like the 'real deal' now. A couple of hours later on Monday afternoon, with wife at the brake pedal, I got it all done and both sides replaced. The O/S front that I took off looked reasonable enough and were the new improved style and must have been replaced at some stage in the past. You might ask why I just didn't leave it there? Well I'm a bit funny that way, the same way as I wouldn't replace one tyre on the same axle, regardless.

Very Happy  Very Happy The good news is that the braking is soooooooooooooooooo much better. I'm a bit suspicious of the pads that are currently fitted so I think after the MOT I'll bin them for some Green or Yellow EBCs.
Calipers will be for sale in appropriate section if anyone is interested.

Good job well done I have to say. We're away on Scotland for 10 days in mid-June so it's nice to know that the brakes are tiptop.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're coming up to the frozen north and fancy a pint, let me know.  My family are off to Cape Town for the month, leaving 10th June, so I'll be at a bit of a loose end (so to speak  Wink )

Cheers
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be based in Pitlochry ( in a nice rented house for a week courtesy of decent s-i-law) and will be travelling about a bit. Are you in Ed'h as per sig? Leaving NI 12th June and returning 23rd via Stranraer.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, in Edi itself.  Work in the financial district, live in southern suburbs ...

Cheers
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green 7000s ordered from EBC Direct.
thor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the truck in for MOT and had the brakes done 95% worn...but as was expected it did not stop there....Full set pads, Rear discs, and Front N/S Caliper seized. Total £844  Shocked
With a little luck the caliper is covered under warranty [which happens to expire in a couple of weeks] just waiting on a phone call from Honda.

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
120man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the front pads on mine last weekend because they were well worn, wear indicators doing their stuff.

Now although I had not noticed any pull, the inner pad on the drivers side caliper was significantly less worn that the others. Sure enough, both pistons were stuck.

Got them back into place no trouble thanks to this device:

http://www.thedrapershop.co.uk/draper-12-square-drive-caliper-piston-retraction-tool3-p-3467.html

Anybody thinking of changing pads well advisedto get one: makes life so much easier.

Pads not yet worn in but a very clear improvement in braking.
leon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Willy ddi a bit of a post on this http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4946
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've complained to Mr T about this for a while now - my front right caliper has been very 'sticky'.  So when I sent the 120 back to Border T on Tuesday (my suspension woes continue) I asked them to check it again.  Joy of joys - the caliper has been replaced.  The happiness of an extended Mr T warranty ...

Oh - and my aircon is shot - new pipes on order, due in next week.  No quibbles on that, which is great.  Suspension apparently sorted, so we'll wait and see tonight when the wagon gets back ....
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a massive improvement - vehicle brakes in a straight line now, stops quicker and feels much better.  The adjusted the handbrake too, so that's one less weekend job for me to do!  The suspension's sorted too.  Happy days.  Now just need those aircon pipes to arrive  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: