Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Offroad insurance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 17:50    Post subject: Offroad insurance? Reply with quote

Do any of the insurers (besides Adrian whatsit) cover you for off-road driving?  I'm currently with RAC and have just discovered that they don't cover you for any form of off-road driving - none whatsoever.  So that'll be me leaving them shortly - as soon as I can find somewhere else to go that's half reasonable!

I'll do a quote via the club site, and via Adrian, and see what else pops up.  

And I assume no-one does comprehensive insurance outside Europe?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 17:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that Green Lanes are not "Off-road". They are public highways.

Private sites are "Off-Road"
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with NFU, but its not the cheapest. So I am going to try Sureterm next time.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance (bit late I know) said that they would cover off roading as long as it wasn't competitive etc etc. I asked because in the exclusions they did not list it. Nor did it have to be on a public road. I asked if I was in a farmers field and fell into a ditch would I be covered. They said yes. I'm with Colonade, through Bullseye.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
I asked if I was in a farmers field and fell into a ditch would I be covered. They said yes.
LC

Oh - you've been looking at the Wales pics again, have you?  Or was that a lucky guess?  Laughing  Laughing

Fortunately no real damage was caused - there's a slight 'kink' in the fender where it folds in just in front of the wheel, which I'm not worried about.  The barbie bumpers are obviously stronger than they look  Wink

Still following up on various options - I'll post what I find out...
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - it's been a while ...

I now understand the UK definition of 'off-road' meaning 'not on any public road' so greenlaning is on-road (wonder why I pay all that money to keep roads in good condition  Wink )

My insurance is now due, and obviously I've started to modify the vehicle (snorkel on, body lift to come, suspension lift to come, bigger tyres on, etc.)

So - who do I ask for a quote?  What's the best place to go?  I'm not worried too much on cost (within reason) and don't want to go for someone I don't know and who'll drop me at a moment's notice ...

Has anyone tried the Toyota scheme, through Club Toyota??

LC - can you PM or mail me your broker details so I can get a quote from them - they sound like they know what they're up to - Jon, you too please?

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Academy, www.academyinsurance.co.uk , 01784 461131, policy is with NIG. Renewed 1/8/09 on my 100 for £415 with protected max no claims, modified vehicle policy. So far (8+ years with my 80) each new modification has just been noted with no funny noises or intakes of breath.  I've had a few bumps, some my fault, some not and two vehicles got written off by my 80, no bother with the insurance but I've never had to make a claim for damage to my vehicle  Laughing  They wouldn't insure Ray because he torched his wife's brand new D3 though  Rolling Eyes

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend the NFU. Service is the best I've ever come across and prices aren't extortionate. You get your own personal contact when you join, who can do everything for you from adding modifications to your policy, to helping you through a claim Smile I've been with Sureterm who are cheaper if you haggle with them but they accused me of not declaring points on my licence and not declaring modifications when I had a bump a few years ago skidding into someone who had pulled into a side road and stopped leaving thier back out on the main road (I had declared my 3 points and my only modification was I had roofbars fitted at the time of the accident, oh and a cd player but that was declared). It took alot to get them to pay out, and even then they only paid the 3rd party damage and wouldn't repair my car even though I was fully comp Evil or Very Mad

I've also been with Churchill who are ok but no cheaper than the NFU, and direct line who were useful to me as a young driver. Again service was adequate and no claims discounts were good but I can get better for cheaper now being over 21

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Knott does off road cover. Will cover you for everything except competitive and illegal (how rude....)
Were not cheap though (650) but I never seem to get cheap Sad

BTW: Churchhill refused as soon as mentioned off road. Green lanes (and they knew the term) included.
bigyun
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Plan 0800 0739245 do off road insurance and Quoted me £329 fully comp which included like for like replacement on MODS and 60 days Europe cover.

Bigyun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: