NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1KZ-TE injector opening pressure and fuel pump timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KZJ90

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 23:53    Post subject: 1KZ-TE injector opening pressure and fuel pump timing Reply with quote

What do you think, is it good idea to adjust the opening pressure higher when driving vegetable oil blend 50/50%? How about the fuel pump timing, to little bit earlier at the same time?
*water-intercooler + chip
*3" down pipe + exhaust
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 23:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nathanrobo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 15:33    Post subject: Diesel timing / opening Reply with quote

Hi

What would be the reasoning behind this modification and how would you do it?

I use 30% bio in my LC100, could this mix benefit from a similar modification?

regards

Nathan
KZJ90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Re: Diesel timing / opening Reply with quote

nathanrobo wrote:
Hi

What would be the reasoning behind this modification and how would you do it?

I use 30% bio in my LC100, could this mix benefit from a similar modification?

regards

Nathan

Higher pressure = better/finer spraying = less problems with that (polymerisation), earlier injection time = compensate the higher flaming point of the vegetable oil.

I have done this now, it feels little better. Better torque at 2000-2500 r/min, maybe little less below 1500 r/min. The fuel consumption is about the same.
*3" down pipe + exhaust
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 0:59    Post subject: Injector / fuel pump timing Reply with quote

Thanks for that KZ

I'd consider myself a very competent DIYer, but I have limited knowledge of Diesels (never owned one until last year) - No knowledge of diesel fuel pumps and limited knowledge of injection systems.  Is this something I could learn about?  Would this mod be useful for fully processed Biodiesel (I use Potassium Hydroxide and Methanol rather than Sodium Hydroxide and water wash 7 times and dry thoroughly).

Also do you know which pump type would be fitted to a 4.2 MY 2001 100 series?  I'm trying to cross reference with Diesel Bob's site.

Best regards

Nathan
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 19:16    Post subject: Injector / Fuel pump timing Reply with quote

Hi KZ

I think my fuel pump has partied out Sad   After having some problems I changed my filter and now with pressure between filter and pump and some diesel on return pipes, I can't get any diesel to squirt out with injector nuts cracked open, either at the engine side or back of the pump.

I'm assuming that I need pump rebuilding, how would I time the pump?  I can see alignment marks on the camshaft but not the pump pulley.  Also what else needs to be set up?  and... finally are you aware of any good companies who can rebuild my pump?

Been quoted £1500 so far... which is more than I can afford at the moment.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Best regards

Nathan
KZJ90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don´t think that you have some mechanical problem with your fuel pump. It´s electronically controlled, so if it´s not spurt at all, there is some electronical failure. Check your ECU failt codes first!
Have you droven with vegetable oil?
*3" down pipe + exhaust
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 19:37    Post subject: Injector / Fuel pump timing Reply with quote

Hi KZ

Appreciate the help!  I have used Biodiesel 20 - 30% mix 4 or 5 times. It's been very well made passing 27/3 (complete reaction) tests and stays clear in the fridge (3 deg), high clarity (looks like fine whiskey) with no traces of methanol or glycerine.  

The strange thing is the car first cut out on Saturday, but then started immediately and drove.  The same happened several times!  On Sunday I changed the fuel filter, but didn't recognise the primer.  The car ok till Monday morning when it failed again about 5 times on the school run, with similar problems today... except today on a copy of occasions it was difficult to start.  

I took off the pipes at which point I think air got into the system.  I then fiddled with the electrical connections - you know the rest, except after this I found the primer and pressured the system at which point I cracked off the injector nuts.

Any idea where I could purchase a code reader or a lead for the diag port plus software?

(It's all a real pain as we have 6 kids and the schools are too far away to walk) Sad
aroscow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps but I wonder if there is something for you on this thread?

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6802
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aroscow

Thanks for that!

I'll check the filter seal, although I'm confident that there is now fuel pressure (little or no air) in the pipe between the filter and the fuel pump.  Any idea where the solonoid is?  It feels as though I have disturbed something on the electrical side.  In the meantime I need to get my hands on a fault reader Confused

Anyone know whether an '01 4.2 100 series uses EOB or EOBD2?  The diesel standards are, I think different from petrol... oh if only I had kept my V8!
KZJ90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the parts which are involved (sorry about the language):

Maybe you should download the engine manual:
http://www.torrentreactor.net/find/toyota-1hdfte--service-manual

I think you have read this too: http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6764
*3" down pipe + exhaust
aroscow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check the manual referred to and see what that has to say.

I have an 80 - can fix that with some spanners and a hammer most times.
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 23:55    Post subject: fuel pump Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

I've plenty to go at!  Suspect I need to get a code reader first, post any codes that I get and begin to understand how the fuel system works on these.

Suppose that in principle diesel ought to be more straight forward than petrol, in this case I guess the complication is the drive by wire technology.

Do you have any suggestions on testing the loom? I presume that replacements are Toyo only?  I can talk to Ian Rubie Smile
deltafive

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, modern diesels are even more complicated, properly refined and blended Bio fuel can be used but the engine must be designed for it, in parlicular it must have a much wider range of tolerance programmed into the engine management. Toyota engines do not have this  but some Euro engines do, many UK trucks now use LPG injection but they are programmed for it. Unless you are doing Mega miles LPG on a diesel will not save much but at least it will not gum the engine the way filtered chip oil will.

LC120 V6 lpg x 2
Hilux D4D MK 6
Hilux MK2
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I need to go back to a Very Happy  petrol (although I never LPG converted my V8 as I was worried about valve seat recession).

I was surprised that even though it's an '01 it doesn't have a 16 pin diag port.  This one only has 8 actual pins which aren't numerically numbered - they have a combination of letters +B, E1, AB, TS, OP1, TC, TT & OP2 and idea which ones need to be jumped to get fault codes on the dash?

regards
N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: