Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Current

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 20:51    Post subject: Current Reply with quote

Will the headlamp wiring and relay(s) on a 4.2 td vx (1991) handle
10 amps at 12v. sufficient for 100/80w main and dip. Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 20:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Plug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on someone must have put uprated bulbs in ,all I want to know is if they ever had any snags. Smile Smile Smile Smile
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have one and I never tried it but the manual says the headlamp fuses are 15 amp.
There are Bosch units that replace the entire 80 series highbeam unit,often see them on e bay
Most who want more lighting just add extra driving lights to the bullbar
Plug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dip beam is a bit abysmal at 55watt so after the info about the 15A circuit the 100/80s are in and brill. Very Happy
simonjz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:53    Post subject: Current Reply with quote

Plug..

Standard lamps are pretty poor, but beware when uprating.

55w per headlight = 110w @12v = 9.16amp
100w per headlight = 200w @12v = 16.6amp

If what RoscoFJ73 says is right - 15amp fuse (manufactured to a 10%tolerance giving 16.5amp) you are going to be risking blowing the fuse.

Hope this helps..

Simon
Plug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

15A per side.Outherwise if THE fuse blew at night down a country lane there would be no lights at all.
On the basis of the law being 60w max for a main beam ,does that relate to 60 watt current draw or light output. A plasma discharge light can push out 4 times the amount of light as a normal halogen bulb but still only draw 60 watt.So where will the law get ya. Smile 8) Smile 8) Smile
Its hard to tell watt watt`s watt from watt what!
Smile 8) Smile 8) Smile 8) Smile
simonjz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 14:58    Post subject: Current Reply with quote

I was not aware that there was a fuse for each headlamp... if that is the case then you will be ok.

This is the way round it you see. 60w is the power required to give a specific light output from the bulb. The newer Gas Discharge lamps give a higher lumen output per watt, so therefore, you could have a higher lumen output in your headlight and still only use 60w.

The catch is that if you go for a higher lumen output discharge lamp, you will effectively increase the colour temperature of the lamp, and this is where the law gets you anyway as there are limits on the colour temperatures.

I just lobbed on two 100w Hella driving lights onto a chrome A bar. Looks good and its like daylight on high beam.

Simon
Plug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm So thats why my lamps(bulbs are planted)glow blue`ish. 80w dips are `v` good and provide a far greater safety margin.
Lumen or CP.
Well as long as I keep asking on this site I will keep learning.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: