2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Woking to Brisbane

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going for a 90 instead - I think it will be better suited to the type of journey that we are planning.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

thelostscott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fridayman,

I'm looking at doing a very similar trip in a couple years time and ended up deciding on an 80 as my vehicle of choice. It seems a lot of people have done this trip already so there is plenty of advice out there. I guess it just totally depends on the level of comfort and how long you want to be away for that would determine your budget.

Have a look at a few of these to get some ideas (although 90% of them seem to be doing it in a Landy): (EDIT: I've just been told I can't post link's as yet so try a google search instead):
1. lone wolf transglobal (Great detail)
2. dream trip se (Went through China & a touch of Burma!?)
3. odyssey show (Professionals)
4. whe.ah.we (Blogspot)
5. in search of africa

There are also plenty of expedition & overlanding companies out there that will help you with advice, mods, and training should you need it:

1. footloose 4x4
2. frogsisland 4x4

As for spare parts and such, Toyota has invaded nearly every country along the way so you should be alright, esp throughout Asia where Oz is so close and can ship parts immediately. The big question is do you go petrol or diesel? Diesel seems to have the majority of the vote due to availability and not having to worry about grades and leading (if that's a word?).

Anyways, would be good to see what you finally decide on and how you get on throughout your trip!

Good luck!
fridayman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the links. Also some very good info HERE.

I went for a 90 ratherthan a 80 because it is also my daily driver until we go. All the 80's that I saw would have needed too much work right away to be a daily driver. I could probably have found the right 80, but I didn't have the patience Smile Definitely a diesel btw! Too much dodgy petrol between here and Brisbane (although that said, the bikes do it...).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: