All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacing LC4 headunit / GPS with Carputer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Replacing LC4 headunit / GPS with Carputer Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

New to the forum and new to LC. Waiting for the arrival of my "new" (new to me) '05 LC4. Already a week late and itching more and more.
Currently in a '00 Freelander and looking forward to the upgrade. (A Reliant Robin is an upgrade? Smile )

One thing I was not struck on (but also part of the appeal in a way) was the lack of gadgetry. I decided to swap the head unit with either screen with a PC mounted else where which has radio etc (I'll build and upgrade as I go along) or a double din radio which pc interface. The latter is about £100 more than the screen only option but includes a radio / cd etc.

My question is if anyone has done this or just simply replaced the radio. I want a unit that fits well, blends well and is of good quality. Obviously trial and error are not an option with things like this.
So often when this is done it is clear from 3 intersections away in traffic that it is an after market weekend fit. Things are not flush, it rattles, looks awful etc. I want to avoid this.

Any recomendations on double din units that look ok? How about getting a wrecked / second hand sat-nav unit from an LC-5(?) and retro fitting it? Does the loom support it? Any hook into the ECU for fuel details?

TIA.

Cheers,
Crispin
(t-4 days)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread further down this forum called In-Car computer that touched on this subject. That might get you started.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon - I have been looking round.
Still not got my LC yet so just browsing. T-3 days now.

Cheers,
Crispin
Cyland101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crispin

Did you ever find a answer to this question, i.e. replacing the LC4 radio/sat nav with one from a LC5? I have just managed to get a second hand unit and will be attempting to replace it this weekend.....  Shocked

Managed to get the dash unit, voice activated sat nav that goes under the drivers seat, amp that goes under the passanger seat, CD shuttle for the glove box and the bass speaker for the boot however I will need to get the replacement plastics for both the boot and the glove box.

Be interested to see if I can actually pull this off or not

Cheers
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nope, never got round to it Sad

Are you really in Welham Green (as per location?)? Don't think there is place here for two LCs Smile
If you are nearby, I would be keen to cast an eye over the proceedings?  Razz
Cyland101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not even notice that you were in Welham Green, as you say, not sure if the place is big enough.

Yup, I'm the chap with the silver 55 plated LC. It would be good to have another set of eyes on proceedings. PM me if you want and we can arrange to meet  Smile
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM'ed
dqrkstone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, how did this all go? I'm just about to pick up an '05 LC4, and am looking to change the installed unit to something more stylish and that will offer more options such as bluetooth, ipod connectivity, and possibly using the gps receiver that the existing turn by turn satnav uses.

Are there any tips? which makes to use? etc etc?

Kind rgds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: