Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Annoying Droning Noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catandi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 22:28    Post subject: Annoying Droning Noise Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Has anybody had a similar problem?
At engine speeds of 2400rpm to 3000 rpm, in any gear, i get a loud droning noise from the engine. Its annoying because in top gear it happens betwean about 55mph to 68 mph which is a common speed on secondary roads. I wondered if maybe an engine mounting has gone rigid or something, but though I would ask "them that know stuff".
The engine is fit and not at all noisy or anything most of the time.
Regards
Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 22:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

smudge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 22:34    Post subject: Annoying Droning Noise Reply with quote

I would check aux. drive belts and fan, etc. Sounds like something could be out of balance or possibly loose like steering pump bearings, alternator bearings, etc. If sound is related to engine revs. not road speed.

1996 Mercedes e220 Cabriolet
smudge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 22:36    Post subject: Annoying Droning Noise Reply with quote

Another thought!
Check airfilter is ok.I have seen  old worn elements vibrate in the housing making a very loud noise at med to high revs.

1996 Mercedes e220 Cabriolet
catandi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smudge,
It has developed a bit further now, There is a high pitched noise at idling speed. which changes when the lights are switched off, I guess that this means it could be the alternator or something driven off the same belt as the alternator.
Anyway its going to 4x4 toys (Tony) tomorrow morning for a check over.
I will keep you informed.

Thanks again
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: