4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Why no <edit> function on some sections of the forums?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:16    Post subject: Why no <edit> function on some sections of the forums? Reply with quote

This has been asked a couple of times in the past, so I'm happy to clear up a couple of things in an area on the forums that won't get 'lost' over time ...

I've been running internet communities for a LONG time now and, one valuable lesson I've learned over that time is - some information is worth making more secure that other, basically, 'protected' on the forums - whether it's from malicious behaviour, moments of madness or a simple 'keyboard accident' and, to that end, most of the technical sections had the <edit> facility disabled a number of years ago.

99.99% of the time, this shouldn't even be a problem for anybody,  but, if you're one of those people who know you make frequent typos, or you ever find the need to make a change in a section on the forums with no <edit> facility, what can you do to make things easier for yourself?

In every section, when you make a post there is the option to <preview> what you've typed before you commit the post to the forums.

If you know you make regular spelling mistakes and are concerned about it, there are a number of obvious, simple options...

1. Use the <preview> function to proof-read your post prior to <submit>

2. Use one of the built-in spellcheckers that come with most browsers now, including Firefox / chrome / safari etc

3. If you're a die-hard IE (Internet Explorer) user, then try the third-party spell-checker add-on here : http://www.iespell.com/

4. Compose your message in Word (or similar) and use the built-in spell-checker - then copy and paste the [corrected] contents into your post on the forums then <submit>

As I've already mentioned (above) the reasons that SOME sections (typically technical sections) have no <edit> option are based on past experience ...

There are sections in this forums where the content is critical to the integrity of the technical areas in the forums - to lose that content, either maliciously (it's happened before!) or accidentally (that's also happened before) would compromise the quality of the posts ... so, until a time-limited <edit> function is included (it WILL come, where you have, say, up to an hour to make corrections), then there will continue to be SOME of the sections with NO <edit> function.

There are those who might say "yeah - but you might realise (some time later) that you made a mistake in the original post that needs to be corrected" ... and there are a couple of simple solutions there too ...

1. If it's not really critical, (just an update, say), then post an update as a reply in the same thread.

2. If it is CRITICAL (wrong torque, wrong part number, wrong instruction etc), then PM me the correction - I'll do the update for you Wink

Finally - this isn't a unique situation on the TLOCUK - this certainly isn't 'the only forum with no <edit> facility' - far from it!

One consolation ... when the forum software used for the TLOCUK goes through the next major upgrade, I WILL include a time-limited <edit> facility across the forums - this should mean that any perceived 'problem' relating to <edit> all but disappears!

Simon thumbright

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: