NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LPG, Anygood?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbtg1985

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 20:07    Post subject: LPG, Anygood? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and am looking to purchase an Amazon 4.7 V8 and then converting to LPG. I am only looking at the petrol as £££ restrict the purchase of a diesel.

There are a lot of figures banded about about getting 30 mpg on LPG and i want to know if this is true?

Looking from an outsiders point of view i dont see how it is possible, If you take an average MPG on petrol of say 10. Minus of 2mpg for running off gas and then times it buy two (lpg 60pence diesel £1.20) then you are still only getting 16mpg......

All help would be great.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jbtg1985

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry meant to say Petrol not Diesel..........
joinerman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but i can't see the logic here, you say you want a petrol because there cheaper to buy than a diesel, true but then your going to spend another £2000- £2500 converting to LPG, thus wiping out the buying price diffference between the two, just my two pence worth.
jbtg1985

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrol 4.7 v8 58000 miles, 2000 reg, £7450

Diesel 4.2td 52000 miles, 2002 reg, £17450

Question answered....
Vagabond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbtg1985 wrote:
petrol 4.7 v8 58000 miles, 2000 reg, £7450

Diesel 4.2td 52000 miles, 2002 reg, £17450

Question answered....

The diesel you're comparing is 2 years younger , even accounting for that, the price seems a bit high IMO..........another member here just purchased a very nice 2000 4.2td for around £8400. So you may want to look around a bit more.....

It all really depends on your potential mileage too - if you expect to do 20k per year then sure, go for Petrol and LPG conversion. If you only do 5k, then buy the Petrol and personally, I wouldn't even bother with the LPG conversion (saving around £2k+).  

Horses for courses.... Wink
Vagabond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:08    Post subject: Re: LPG, Anygood? Reply with quote

jbtg1985 wrote:
There are a lot of figures banded about about getting 30 mpg on LPG and i want to know if this is true?

Downhill with a following wind.....perhaps you might get close to 30mpg.  Wink

I have a Colorado 3.4V6 which is LPG converted - running on petrol i can get 22-23mpg on a long run (m'way @ 70mph). On LPG that same journey is 19-20mpg.

IIRC the 4.7V8 gives you around 15-17mpg *average* - so on LPG you'd expect more like 12-13mpg.
tdimccullough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 13:34    Post subject: Re: LPG, Anygood? Reply with quote

Vagabond wrote:
jbtg1985 wrote:

I have a Colorado 3.4V6 which is LPG converted - running on petrol i can get 22-23mpg on a long run (m'way @ 70mph). On LPG that same journey is 19-20mpg.

IIRC the 4.7V8 gives you around 15-17mpg *average* - so on LPG you'd expect more like 12-13mpg.

i think he means 30 mpg if you count lpg half the price of petrol/diesel for the amount of money you spend
jbtg1985

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 14:16    Post subject: Re: LPG, Anygood? Reply with quote

i think he means 30 mpg if you count lpg half the price of petrol/diesel for the amount of money you spend[/quote]

Sorry yes i was meaning in money terms.

I do around 25'000 miles per annum. i would love to find a TD with under 60'000 miles for less then ten grand but i think they are about as rare as hens teeth...
andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at item No 220684864299 on fleabay, reserve not reached, but I know that he wants £10k for it.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the petrol/lpg option when I was searching for an Amazon. I finally bought a diesel.

The gas conversion can be done at home. You can buy the bits and fit them yourself provided you are feeling brave! You need a friendly lpg fitter to sign off the conversion to have a certificate for your insurance company. This should save you about £500. look at:-

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/index.html

or similar for the bits.

Fuel consumption is about 10% more on gas than on petrol. So if you were getting 15mpg on petrol, expect lpg consumption to be about 13.5mpg.

Also, you need a flashpoint lubrication kit to save the valves. The special oil costs about 2p on top of the cost of every litre of gas. Tinley Tech can supply the dispenser but you can get the oil from several sources. Just google 'flashlube'

On lpg the engine runs cleaner than on petrol so it is pretty good for the engine other than the need to protect the valves.

A small point. Remember that you will use 10% more gas than petrol. You will use a lot of lpg! The gas tank can only be filled to 80% of its capacity so look to get a 120 litre tank or bigger (or two smaller tanks to the same capacity). These can be fitted where the spare wheel normally goes provided you don't mind putting the spare in the back or on the back door.

Willy
Spencerb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some sums only the other day, based on the following:

Petrol 4.7 achives 17mpg
Diesel 4.2 achives 26mpg

Litre of LPG is 60p
Litre of Diesel is 120p

I calculated an LPG 4.7 was costing 15.6p/mile and a Diesel would cost 20.4p/mile.

BUT this doesnt account for the Flashlube oil on top, or the Petrol that you still need to buy periodically as it always starts on petrol.  This was kind of disappointing because I now think that with the LPG conversion cost on top its a pretty close call between the two, and next time I will buy the diesel cos it saves all the hassle......that said my petrol is whisper quiet and now I have paid the cash I will keep it for as long as possible, its a great truck and importantly is not costing any MORE than a diesel would.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07    Post subject: Re: LPG, Anygood? Reply with quote

tdimccullough wrote:
Vagabond wrote:
jbtg1985 wrote:

i think he means 30 mpg if you count lpg half the price of petrol/diesel for the amount of money you spend

And this mis quoting of mpg is very mis leading.

True MPG on LPG will always be less than MPG on petrol,
To what the lesser MPG on LPG is, depends essentially on which LPG system is fitted, and the suitability of the engine.

'Vette
deltafive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had 2 LC90s and 2 LC120s converted to LPG, all were good vehicles and gave 30-35 mpg in cash terms, but if you are buying LPG at forecourt prices it really is not worth it. An Amazon will probably cost £2000 to convert and if you can fit a 100 litre tank(85% usable) will only give you 250 miles, you will probably still use 5% petrol and it might be as high as 10%. Modern common rail diesels are a much better bet for most owners so unless you have your own LPG tank AND are prepared to tolerate a degree of hassle stick to a diesel.
Do you really need a diesel LC100 they were tough reliable vehicles but will wear out eventualy and an engine or transmission rebuild will cost an arm and a leg, so spend the extra for a low mileage one if you do 25k a year.

LC120 V6 lpg x 2
Hilux D4D MK 6
Hilux MK2
Dark Dude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to go LPG with a LC100 4.7 V8 don't do it on the cheap. Get the best LPG conversion that you can afford and reap the awards of "cheap"  V8 silky smooth motoring. IMHO the best conversion for the 4.7 is the Prinns VSi system. That's a cool £2500 all in. I did mine a year ago and it was the singular best motoring decision I've made to date. Even if you get say 15-16 mpg on LPG, because LPG is still currently half the cost of black gold unleaded, in reality you're getting 30-32 mpg. I think that I'm getting near 16-18 mpg on a normal run out of my truck at the moment and I'm well happy with that. During my travels, I always get asked how I'm able to run a V8 monster like my truck and it always put an smile on my face when I answer.......

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: