4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Review 4mths ownership and 6k mls

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:51    Post subject: Review 4mths ownership and 6k mls Reply with quote

Well, after my initial issue on collection (earlier post) , which turned out to be a fuel filter, and not the CAT, pleased to inform my LC150LC5 has been trouble free, having now just had its 30k service. It's been used lightly, and heavily on long towing runs, and has performed well.

What I've done so far:
Added the tow bar
Changed the tyres to BFG
Put the A bar from my LC120 on it (made a couple of small brackets and it fitted fine)
Considering a summer set of alloys, we'll see, reviewing at the moment

Pro's:
Powerful enough and as good as my old 100's when towing (mines the chipped anniversary model)
Interiors a nice place to be
Tows very well @ nearly 3te
30k service was pretty cheap @ £214.00 and Toyota we're very good.
Split tail gates quite handy
Quality and finish are nice

Cons
Steering rack is going to be renewed under warranty, knocking noise mentioned at,30k service.
Boot floor a little higher due to rear electric seats
Tail shift clunk, reducing slowly I think with driver input, but still happens occasionally

Q's
Auto lock, locks the doors upon take off, but doesn't unlock once stopped, requiring the driver to always unlock manually, need to find where to switch this option off ?

Other Topics:
Injector seals, after Danny's email, took a lot of time looking around and couldn't conclusively tie any issues to the 150 as yet. However do plan to look up the parts listing to see the technical description of the washers, then make a decision after that whether to pull the sump of as precaution. Again, not because I found any info to suggest there's any issues, and there's a few of these 150's out there now that should have passed the 40-60k mls bracket for it to happen, but purely for my own piece of mind, as I not sure how I'd deal with it, if it happened again. I'm that pre-occupied about it, I may even just pull the injectors also, to back up what the tech description says. I did think about having the dealer do it at the 30k service, but unfortunately I need to see for my own eyes, so,will let,you,know,if and when I do a bit,of checking. Certainly as time goes by, confidence grows, and I'd be surprised if Toyota hadn't learned their lesson from the 120 D4D, to get the 150 right, they have they're own tech bulletin on it, fingers X.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

4runner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good

havent seen many 150's round Aberdeenshire

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Agreed, not sure if its the economic times, as dont see to many V8's either.

This 150 forums a bit quiet, either due to not enough vehicles around, or very little problems, fingers X its the latter.

We'll see how it goes, i certainly went south to get mine, as no choice, and what very little there was, was expensive, as per the usual Aberdeen used car price bubble, we know how it goes.
Big4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the BFG's on the 150, I'm still running on the original dueller HT from supply, winters coming in and time for some new rubber, What size did you put on the 150?.

I'm running Toyo open country AT on my hilux but have still to use them in the winter.

I had a set of BFG AT on my 90 and they were a great running tyre.

The 60th anniversary is a great car although the wife still moans about getting it parked in the shopping centres

2011 LC150 LWB 60th Anniversary Ltd Ed.
No mods yet

2012 Hilux Invincible
No mods yet
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've put on 265 / 65 / 18's, all booted ready for the white stuff.

Agree, no further complaints from me so far, just the auto door locking, right pain having to remember to un-lock for everyone to get out evertime we stop. I'll look up the manual yet !
dypcdiver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother pulling the sump to look for a build up of carbon on the oil pump screen as you can buy a USB camera that is only 7mm Dia that is on a 5m cable for less than the cost of a sump gasket. They are available from loads of the Chinese sites.

I agree that the auto locking of the doors is a pain, I have the 3 door (155) version and often get out and want to put things into the boot or even the passenger side only to find I need to walk back and unlock from the drivers side. However I have worked in Africa and I'm aware of the car jacking that can happen. As Africa is a big market for the Land cruiser I am a bit sympathetic.
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, agreed, TBH I havent actually done anything yet, I've seen no reports around, and it runs like a train (although doesnt tell you much) but all in all it's going well.

Yes the doors, still havent read the manuals, there's got to be a disable autilock selection somewhere, just need to read the manuals, but then we dont do that either  Laughing
dypcdiver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7mm camera can be found here http://www.e bay.co.uk/itm/2M-Waterproof-6-LED-USB-Insprection-Tube-Camera-Endoscope-Borescope-7MM-Lens-/390691530920?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Medical_Equipment_Instruments_ET&hash=item5af707a8a8 mine hasn't arrived yet so can't comment on it.
And I seem to remember the auto lock can be done with the TIS software, which I have but am too idle to get round to doing Rolling Eyes
I read the manual when I first got the car but have forgotten most of it by now, there was just too much to absorb.
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trucking on, with no problems.

FORUM's terribly quiet, which is hopefully a good sign.

So lets talk about something else, Scottish Independence, it's a NO from me !
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you - hoping the forums quiet for all the right reasons.  But I suspect its because there still aren't that many 150s around.

It's good to hear from other owners in the UK.  Mine has started to 'tail shift clunk' in driving conditions that it never appeared before.  So I'm trying to 'teach' it to stop doing it! - its a joke isn't it!! - I can't believe driver input makes any difference..... or does it???

Re. injector seals and the like - my late 09 jobby has yet to do much mileage ... but I try to run it on BP Ultimate or similar when I can find it... hoping this may help?
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tail shift clunk it is annoying, and not something I've experience before with other models.

I to drive to reduce it happening, thinking mounting a camera underneath to record an see whats moving, as I, or the Toyota garage cant locate any thing.

Injector seals, fingers X none of the 150's see that, I don't think they will, as earlier they should have learned by now.

See rumors for a V6 diesel next, looking forward to it !
Suck Valley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright what the hell is "tail shift clunk"??
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll know if you have it  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

I've yet to ID what is happening, but on speculation alone, it would seem that the rear diff/axle, are settling inline with the prop shaft, when the vehicle comes to a stop, or sitting at a jct, traffic lights etc.

I find there's no rhyme or reason, although driving styles can amplify, or remove the occurrence.

If for instance you drive silky smooth the noise frequency can be reduced (never removed) but if your slamming it up to stop points, it can happen every time.

It also seems vehicle dependant, I've had 7-8 LC's, and never experience it to date, but this latest LC has it.

Thinking about some more (as I type), the LC prop shaft at the gearbox end, as a grease point on the spline that extends and retracts for the rear axle movement.

I always kept it, and the 2 universal joints on the my past LC's well greased, i.e. you could push grease into the extend/retract point, to move it.

Because my LC's pretty new, I haven't done this yet, but I'll try it, and let you all know it it's helped, fingers X
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Pradopoint (the Aus. equivalent of this site) they seem to insist on a replacement prop shaft of some different alloy when they suffer 'tail shift clunk' - and they seem to get it after some 'haggling' - which appears to resolve the issue.  

From experience - even trying to get the diddy mud flaps replaced on mine here in the UK reached a blank - Mr T stating the only way this could be achieved would be by replacing the rear 'bumper' but as this would effect the 'homogenisation' of the vehicle this could not be done.

Its the usual nightmare of getting Toyota to admit a fault and 'putting themselves out' to put it right! .... which don't seem to happen.  Not unique to any manufacturer of anything of course.....!
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, all noted.

I can report with success, I seem to have managed to remove the tail shift clunk now on my vehicle, by doing what I've mentioned earlier, greasing the entire drive train so to speak. As noted, never had this on my other LC's, as I serviced them myself, but this new one I haven't touched as yet.

So, onto the ramp, and looked underneath and all the drive train area's were really dry, now I don't know if this is part of the service schedule, or whether it's just not being done during the service etc.

So, the transfer box sits on it's own rubber mountings, with a prop shaft connect either side, to front and rear axles, so I guess we can assume the amount of torsion this units see's, can be considerable.

There are 6 grease nipple (gun) points on the front and rear prop shafts, 1 at each end of each prop shaft, in the universal joint (UJ) (hardy spicer) and 1 on the extend/retract point of each prop shaft, which compensates for axle travel etc.

Last night, I greased up the UJ's until the seals just "cracked", then the extend/retract grease nipples. I put grease into the ext/retract nipple until I could see the extend/retract point react.

I.e. you will start to push/extend the prop shaft with the grease pumped in, then I gave another few for good measure.

This morning, the drive train (& car) is a lot smoother, and the clunking is gone.

Planning to let is settle for a week, then grease up again, then in another 6mths etc, or until the clunking returns.

It simply looks like, as we've mentioned, the dry joints in the drive train needing to be greased, for my vehicle in anycase, and as above it is noticeably smoother to drive.

On my earlier LC's, I also used to find small vibration's coming through over time, and this would also prompt greasing the drive train, to resolve it.

Anycase, hope this helps, and it's something, with these LC's ground clearance, you can just crawl under with a grease gun to complete.

Just remember to position the vehicle so you can access all the grease points, my were all in 1 line once I had the prop shaft in the right position, then lock the vehicle into position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: