Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

towbar info for lc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 15:25    Post subject: towbar info for lc Reply with quote

im currently in the process of buying an 80 series lc however of the ones ive seen so far none have towbars or electrics in the rear

is this a big problem?

i will be towing a trailer and possibly a caravan

thanks

dyf
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 15:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Plug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
Tis easy to remedy ones`self.
Check out some outher posts I QnAd on.
500SEC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to an Australian write-up of the 80 series. Note the section on "towing". http://www.shift.nrma.com.au/motoring/cars/buying_and_selling/used_car/reviews/road_test/toyota/toylangxlmar.shtml

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
schmoo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen some pictures of 80's with a hitch mounted on the rear crossmember?

i doubt this would be good for caravanning but it will be fine for my trailer (visit to the tip etc)

d
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 bolts built into the rear bumper - rated by Toyota to 3500kg but not strictly approved of over here. You can fit a ball or pintle hook to these - Toyota have a standard optional pintle hook for this point in some markets. Problem will be the height unless you have a raised front of your trailer or a drop plate mounted on the bolts and towball fitted to that.
schmoo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in theory if i dont have the required to pack i could use this to take the trailer?

its an option till i have the need to pull a caravan

and its a recovery point???

or is this a no no?
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you could use it but make sure that you have it at the right height otherwise you will find the trailer tips up at the front. It's used elsewhere in the world but not the UK or US as a full weight towing point so it will work.

And yes it is an excellent recovery point, get yourself a Towball/pintle hook combination unit and you got something that works well with towing shackles as well as for towing the trailer.
schmoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got one of those pinball wizard jobbies from towsure and used it on my disco (which i havent sold yet Sad )

best of both worlds as it has a pin hitch and ball hitch too.

if i had a ring hitch type of trailer instead of ball i would have been tempted to get a nato instead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: