4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Custom Landcruiser Build Help or am I just day dreaming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1965TLCFJ45LVWagon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:27    Post subject: Custom Landcruiser Build Help or am I just day dreaming Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I am looking for help with a custom Landcruiser build BUT I have little experience of owning a Landcruiser (hence the title of this thread). The only things I know come from reading the history of the Landcruiser on the Toyota website and various articles on a couple of forums – so please bear with me on this…

I decided to do this after a close friend bought 3 Landcruiser 60 series (not at once) and I got the chance to drive them. I then started looking online at the 40 and 60 series and found that they are very hard to get in the UK. Furthermore, the same friend has suggested driving from the UK through Africa.

I am looking to see if we can take the best parts of the various Landcruiser series and create one which is best for driving through somewhere like the African continent e.g. the chassis from an 80 series, the engine from a 60 series, etc… brand new braking system, … etc…

As such, I have a few questions which I have outlined below and would be grateful if I could get some answers or suggestions:

1. What is the difference between overlanding and off-roading? I have tried googling this but haven’t come across a decent explanation.

2. For driving in somewhere like Africa where roads might be badly worn or just dirt tracks, what would be the best chassis to start building on? I mean, what series of TLC would have the best chassis for this kind of journey.

3. What would be the most reliable engine to use ? I would prefer something which has as little electronics as possible in the hope that it is easier to maintain or repair when there are no professional service stations about. Any comments on the fuel efficiency of the earlier TLC engines vs the later ones would be greatly appreciated.

These are all the starter questions for now… but whilst browsing online, I found this a Landcruiser FJ45LV wagon on vintageoffroad (I cannot post the link because I’m new)… and fell in love with it… unfortunately it is sold but I would be looking at this type of body on the finished product if at all possible.

Finally, if you are wondering about the strange time this message was posted, that is because I am in China at the moment looking for aftermarket Landcruiser parts for a friend (whose latest purchase is a rusty shed of a Landcruiser off e bay) and for some other business. We are 8 hours ahead of the UK…

Thanks everyone…

Adam
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mettisse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24    Post subject: Re: Custom Landcruiser Build Help or am I just day dreaming Reply with quote

1965TLCFJ45LVWagon wrote:
Hello

As such, I have a few questions which I have outlined below and would be grateful if I could get some answers or suggestions:

1. What is the difference between overlanding and off-roading? I have tried googling this but haven’t come across a decent explanation.

2. For driving in somewhere like Africa where roads might be badly worn or just dirt tracks, what would be the best chassis to start building on? I mean, what series of TLC would have the best chassis for this kind of journey.

3. What would be the most reliable engine to use ? I would prefer something which has as little electronics as possible in the hope that it is easier to maintain or repair when there are no professional service stations about. Any comments on the fuel efficiency of the earlier TLC engines vs the later ones would be greatly appreciated.

These are all the starter questions for now… but whilst browsing online, I found this a Landcruiser FJ45LV wagon on vintageoffroad (I cannot post the link because I’m new)… and fell in love with it… unfortunately it is sold but I would be looking at this type of body on the finished product if at all possible.

Finally, if you are wondering about the strange time this message was posted, that is because I am in China at the moment looking for aftermarket Landcruiser parts for a friend (whose latest purchase is a rusty shed of a Landcruiser off e bay) and for some other business. We are 8 hours ahead of the UK…

Thanks everyone…

Adam

Hello, overland is simply just that, travelling, with an eye to preserving your steed for all the journey and return, possibly avoiding when you can tracks that may damage your vehicle, sometimes there is no alternative, then you will be thankful for the driving skills you have learned whilst off roading, which is allegedly driving off road for the fun of it, enjoying the view etc etc.
Not much difference as they overlap into each other's territory. So, it's the same, different name, it's all about the fun.
Which vehicle? You made your choice when you said no electronics! My experience is stay as far as possible standard with sensible mods, ( reputable springs and shocks etc,) in the first case try to buy the best example you can find, start there. A visit to shows like Bad Kissingham in Germany is good, ( adventure show in UK in September) look what others have done and ask them if they feel their project was successful, Overlanders are a friendly lot ( and off roaders) mostly I'm sure they would be happy to help.
I run an 80 series, can cruise along motorways on the speed limit no probs, I don't always drive fast, but I have the option, I have a pal with a Iveco 4x4 with a very tidy camper body, he maxes out at 55 mph, the knobby tyres sound like a spitfire squadron, he bemoans the fact he has no choice,  ( but, it is very comfy) factor in thoughts like this, comfort is very important when travelling great distances.
All the best with your project, enjoy the build, have fun, best regards, Bill Westley
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: