Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

London to Tromso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andytech99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 15:41    Post subject: London to Tromso Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Myself plus my friends were able to drive my 17yr old 3.0 1kzte Colorado from London to Tromso, about 2,500 miles.

Lowest temp we experienced was minus 19 degrees whilst going over a mountain pass Smile

Longest leg was from London to Denmark in ONE go overnight to avoid traffic, ended up having to pull over and sleep enroute..  Amazing how just 30 mins sleep can recharge you!

Most difficult leg was Mosjoen to Tromso, the final leg..  750km on the E6 road - which is sometimes very good, other times it's like a ski ramp, incredibly steep and totally covered in sheet ice..  for these bits we had to go down in 1st gear, nervously hovering over the brake at all times.

Roads have been quite difficult, unfortunately I kitted out the car before I knew exactly what overland trip we would be doing - so this trip has been done on BFG all terrains.  This has made it difficult to keep pace with locals racing around on winter tyres - however the BFGs are pretty good and have done very well considering..  slow and steady got us here, and I'm confident it will get us back with no problems.

We're heading back via Sweden instead of Norway, and have been told the roads on this route are better since the ground is less mountainous.

Only at one point when we actually REACHED Tromso and tried to climb a steep hill with fresh snow did we finally get stuck and push the car beyond it's limit.. but managed to get it up with a bit of diff lock and gentle persuasion.

I would highly recommend this road trip but I would also stress winter tyres and lots of preparation.  We have seen the most beautiful roads and panoramic vistas I have ever seen in my life..  Endless forests, frozen lakes, wild moose, fjords, mountains, frozen waterfalls, rivers, twinkling towns in the mountains at night..  We even saw a glimmer of the Northern lights whilst stopping to switch drivers, along with the most stars I have ever been able to see with the naked eye.

2 locals have already pointed out that they have never seen a right hand drive car in the town before

Car absolutely has not put a foot wrong..  it's been utterly flawless throughout!

Tonight we'll be going out in search of the Aurora, weather permitting - tomorrow, we start the 5 day journey home.

If anyone is planning a similar trip feel free to ask questions!

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 15:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
andytech99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

putting together a video of this trip, only 1/2 done but some nice timelapse shots from about 2:26 onwards here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZDDR3gYAI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: