Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Coolant overflow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You drilled holes in your thermostat !!!!!!!

Yes it's cheaper than a new one but a new one is cheaper than a new engine.

Roger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 23:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Phil70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Fairclough wrote:
You drilled holes in your thermostat !!!!!!!

Yes it's cheaper than a new one but a new one is cheaper than a new engine.

Roger

Only as a temp fix, plan to have a new one ordered tomorow and have it fitted before i have the landcruiser on the road.

Phil

My cruiser:
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66422#66422
wobbly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Get the proper red stuff from Toyota.

Also - it sounds like the stat isnt working right - get a new one while you're at it - not cheap (£27!) but its not worth taking any chances with these engines. Sounds like yours didnt have a by-pass hole (cant remember the right word for it!)

I have 4 part worn 265/75x15 tyres in my garage, all good tread - although you may want to go bigger.

Pete
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comma do an anti-freeze with a 5 year life. Probably a lot cheaper than Toyota. I fitted a higher rated thermostat to my 1-KZT engine. Can't remember what it came out of. Just needed a little fettling around the edge to reduce the dia. and bingo. Again, a lot cheaper than Toyota.

Roger
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Fairclough wrote:
Comma do an anti-freeze with a 5 year life. Probably a lot cheaper than Toyota. I fitted a higher rated thermostat to my 1-KZT engine. Can't remember what it came out of. Just needed a little fettling around the edge to reduce the dia. and bingo. Again, a lot cheaper than Toyota.

Roger

higher rated means a lower opening temp?  what did you fit?

Mark
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, should have been more explicit. I fitted a thermostat with a higher opening temp. Can't be precise---it's been a long time since I fitted it---but I think around 4-5 deg C.

Roger
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Fairclough wrote:
Sorry, should have been more explicit. I fitted a thermostat with a higher opening temp. Can't be precise---it's been a long time since I fitted it---but I think around 4-5 deg C.

Roger

maybe its because it late at night but why would you want to fit a thermostat to open at a higher temp on an engine that is prone to overheating?
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines the 3 litre, 1-KZT engine. The engine that has problems with overheating is the 2.4 litre.

I spent time testing Rover engines at their Clay Lane lab. in Birmingham. We would carry out what they called "The Butch Test. Fit a new engine to a test rig. Start it and spend 30 seconds checking the timing and mixture. Wind on the revs and load until it was running max. load at 6,000 rpm. Control oil and water temp. with heat exchangers (fluid to fluid). Allow water temp.---under thermostat---to peak at 115 deg. C and oil temp.---in sump---to peak at 135 deg. C. Engine oil starts to break down at 175 deg.C ---standard mineral oil. Continue test for 30 minutes. When engine has cooled, remove to stripping room and dismantle. Oil is sent to lab. for examination. All rubbing surfaces examined for abnormal wear or damage. Re-build engine with new shell bearings and gaskets. Refit to rig and run in for 10 hours at various loads and revs. Then continue with standard 10 hour cyclic running.

Tests such as this, when compared to engines run in normally, showed no difference in oil consumption, fuel economy, power or reliability. We never had any problems with gasket failure, head warping or valve burning.

The higher the temperature you can run a car engine the better, notwithstanding obvious catastrophic failures if you go to far. Oil stays cleaner longer and fuel economy will improve.

The Messerschmitt Me 209 used a highly tuned version of the Daimler-Benz DB 601 engine. Power had been increased from 1,000 bhp to 2,300 bhp but life expectancy of this engine was just 30 minutes.

Roger
wobbly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you mot-ing it?
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry thought you had the 2.4  Embarassed

mind you the 3.0l can have head probs... mine overheats on long drags up hill when I'm loaded up with people and camping gear...so far I have added some extra fluid to the fan coupling, sealed around my rad really good, removed the 'dinner plate' spotlights from in front of the rad...
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
sorry thought you had the 2.4  Embarassed

mind you the 3.0l can have head probs... mine overheats on long drags up hill when I'm loaded up with people and camping gear...so far I have added some extra fluid to the fan coupling, sealed around my rad really good, removed the 'dinner plate' spotlights from in front of the rad...

No problem. I also junked the viscous fan and fitted a Kenlowe 16" unit and scrapped the shroud that the original fan ran inside. The Kenlowe is fitted in front of the rad. As well as creating a lot of room for things like generator and cam belt replacement, I believe it will also promote better circulation of air for cooling purposes.

Under normal running the Kenlowe doesn't come on. This includes slow running in traffic, even on hot days. The only time it does come on will be "off-road", either pulling hard through claggy ground or steep long climbs. The temperature gauge sits just below the half way point.

There is a string on the Toyota Club of Europe where a guy is building a bumper out of pre-cut sections of steel. He is mounting the unit so that it covers half of the rad. This is a situation where he may find a problem with overheating.

Roger
Phil70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
Where are you mot-ing it?

I take my cars to some one whos sort of a family friend who does any work needed on them, then takes them for mot. Not sure exactly where it goes for mot some where in east hunspill i think. Wont be going to him till next week now though i doubt.

As for tyres i sorted some out so am alright for now.

I will give toyota a ring and see what i can sort about coolant.

Thanks Phil

My cruiser:
wobbly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well leave the stat out - this will prevent any potential further problems with the existing stat, then replace with new.

The only downside is the engine wont come up to temp properly, so the fan doesnt blow warm.

The toyota dealers in taunton have the pre-mixed antifreeze in stock.

Pete
Phil70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
You might as well leave the stat out - this will prevent any potential further problems with the existing stat, then replace with new.

The only downside is the engine wont come up to temp properly, so the fan doesnt blow warm.

The toyota dealers in taunton have the pre-mixed antifreeze in stock.

Pete

Ok, i will go get the coolant tomorow and flush it and put the new stuff in over the week end. How much coolant do i need to get?

Thanks Phil

My cruiser:
wobbly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how much, but I have heard there is a system to doing it, maybe someone else can give you the pointers - something to do with airlocks?

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: