4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

KZJ70 Batteries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaveGrrr
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been doing some more research and it turns out the batteries we need are 249 which arent the same as Discovery batteries which are 069 iirc.

249 batteries tend to have higher Ah and CCA values (about 90Ah and 720CCA on average) than 069 and are slightly more expensive but generally only by a couple of pounds.

Batteries are bloody expensive right now due to the high metal prices, the cheapest I could find a 249 was £75inc VAT & P&P (the price above for the Varta batteries in not inc VAT).  Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 18:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nivapilot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave and Roger, how goes it?

Mine has two 031 batteries..seemed that they were the largest capacity batteries I could get in the trays.
And I went through the Lucas, and Unipart cataloques to get there.
Both batteries have been on there for 4years and haven't had a problem yet.

High battery prices are due to the very high price of lead, apparently.

Somebody, and I think it may have been a difflocker, sugested a pair of these?...http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV-X-1000-Amp-P7632.html.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nivapilot, is this a visit from the light side? Wink  Wink

Roger
nivapilot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger
Been a watcher on here for a few years now, but as you can see, not a big poster.
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birder wrote:

Also my HZJ75 only has a single battery, does anyone have a second battery bracket spare or photos of one so i can make one?

Thanks

Colin

Colin,my 75 only had one battery so I bought another fibreglass tray for about $75 and it more or less bolted straight in,so I now have 2 front trays with one posing as a rear tray.(I have them both on the LH side)
Its ok but the rear battery sits slightly askew.I also had to build a "foot" to support it underneath.

It would be better if you could track down a proper rear tray or you could buy one of these aftermarket jobs that hold 2 batteries and bolt straight into the 75 series,about a $150+postage

http://piranhaoffroad.com.au/index.php/default/dual-battery-management-systems?mode=list&limit=5&p=4

There is also some other dual battery trays for 75 series that turn the batteries sideways to save room long ways but make it harder to work on the engine
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics are of the triple battery set up but you can buy the double battery set up on its own.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how close is the HZJ 75 to the KZJ 70 regarding under bonnet fittings?

I seem to remember that someone is breaking a KZJ 70 and the dtails are only a couple of weeks old.

Maybe worth a search?

Roger
Birder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an email from another site and he has a second battery tray so i am having that one

At the moment i am getting all my parts ready to do it all at once when the weather warms up

As my truck was waxed several times from new it looks rather dirty where the dust has stuck to the wax under the bonnet. Its perfect under the wax so I am going to get it steam cleaned and then use OE laquer under the bonnet to keep it looking tidy.
Birder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger: Not sure if they are different, here is my 75 images taken under the bonnet.

1) Dirty

2) Battery area

Mine is a 250H which is a 249 but with the terminals the opposite side

The charger connected is an accuguard which is a charger designed to be left on all the time while a motor stands. I dont use some of my motors very often and with this charger I have never had a problem.

I look forward to the sun coming out so i can start my build.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few points birder.

There is obviously enough space to fit a second battery and if you can get a Toyota base, then I am sure it would either fit easily or at worst fairly simply into the space available. It might need the existing box moving forward about 75mm but that should not present a problem. You will note the profusion of extra nuts for various attachments.

I suggest that as the battery charger is basically a permanent fixture, you junk the crocodile clip and fit a proper soldered/crimped connector at each end. Sods law dictates that if one or even both came off, it or they will get entwined just where you don't want them to.

Again, as a personal suggestion, replace the pressed steel battery clamps with the tinned solid brass variety. These usually have small screws to clamp the cable into position but a better solution is to junk the screws and solder the cable/clamp together. Also wire brush the battery posts and use a copper rich grease between post and clamp.

Roger
Birder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger

This is how the truck arrived with me and its still as it came from the factory.

Within a few weeks of no use it would not start, something was drawing power so I then fitted the battery terminal isolator as a tempory fix, you can see it in the picture. I then found that the tachograph that was fitted was drawing power all the time, so i removed it but left the wiring so i can go back if needs be.

I will change the cables and terminals as you have said when i put on the second battery.

The accuguard is not a fixture, i just put it on when i leave the truck unused for a while. I shall make a connector for it when i do the batteries.

Thanks for your suggestions.
BigDaveGrrr
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh *beep*! Sad

I ordered a couple of 249/335 batteries this week after measuring the battery tray I was certain they would fit........................ and I was half right. For some odd reason the 2 battery trays are different sizes!? The rear tray is smaller than the front so although the 249 battery fits snug in the front tray the rear one wont quite fit! Whats most annoying is there is enough space to fit a tray the same size as the front one so I have no idea why Toyota made the rear one smaller, all I know is Im stuck with £150 worth of batteries that dont fit. Sad

Might have a go at making a new tray otherwise itll mean a trip to Lancashire to take them back
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

The batteries are:-     Standard           249/335

Length                        252                    306

Width                          170                    173

Height                         202                    225       all in mm.

You can consider making a single tray for both batteries. To keep this close to and parallel to the body you would need to re-fit the h/lamp washer bottle  inboard of the battery nearest the lights, or angle the battery tray to keep the bottle in it's present position. Saying that you may have height problems anyway. That extra inch is marginal.

If you can, I would change them for the correct size ones. I have a winch fitted and I have never had a problem. Starting is also never a problem.

Roger
BigDaveGrrr
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved  Cool :

Apologies for the picture quality, it was getting dark and I had to take the pictures with my phone.

Im pleased with the result. Its amazing what you can do with a little knowledge and the right tools! Smile
Birder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange, i have been waiting for my second carrier to arrive all week and it came in the post this morning.

Its the shorter one like the base you changed from.

Did you ever work out the part number of the smaller (rear) battery?

PS. Reminder to self, buy stain black paint....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: