4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Renovating the rear end

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gus2010

Location: Vehicle is in Scotland, I visit it once a year from Australiark Saudi, soon Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 16:47    Post subject: Renovating the rear end Reply with quote

Been working on the rear of my LJ70. Stripped off bumpers, lights, trim and towbar. Put into local garage and got one of the rotten rear arches welded up (lovely job, but 350 quid!). Then rebuilt the thing.

Decided to use nice new Stainless A4 marine grade bolts from Screwfix, but most of the fixing holes have captive nuts welded into the frame. The thread on these nuts is different, the big ones are 10mm and TPI seems the same but the thread is shallower, so my bolts bind and strip. Anyone know what the bolt spec is? Would have expected it to be bog-standard metric. Maybe I could chase out the nuts with a metric tap?

It took every ounce of my strength to get that towbar off, and most of the bolts are now knackered. One or two of the captive nuts broke free and I had to cut the bolt off, so I have no choice but to replace some. If I replace some I want to replace them all.

Anyone experienced this?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 16:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RogerFo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced the same and found out that Toyota uses a "non-standard" TPI for their 10 mm bolt. And the strength of the bolts are not impressing...

Be aware of the fact that stainless A4 bolts are not as strong as gavanized bolts. On our DIY rear bumper we have changed to standard and larger bolts. We cut a 5 mm steel plate, welded three nuts with corresponding drilled holes. The plate fits inside the frame and replaces the three factory nuts.
LJ-70 -85
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: