Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Radio Aerial for 120 series LC5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:14    Post subject: Radio Aerial for 120 series LC5 Reply with quote

I have just bought a second hand LC5 (55 reg).  The radio is giving me really curious reception.  Radio 1 is perfect (well...not the music.. but you know what I mean), medium wave and long wave is also good.  However, Radio 2 and local FM radio is terrible.  

I have taken the radio out and made sure that both aerials are fully plugged into the back, but there has been no improvement.  All I can think of is that the aerial (which is a loop in the passenger side back window) is just rubbish.  So I wondered if anyone had put a "normal" external aerial onto their 120 series?  If so, where did you fit it (roof, front wings?), and did you go for a whip aerial or a shark fin?

Help!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best place is right in the middle of the roof.
The shark fin aerials, need a 12 volt supply, as they have a built in amplifier.

vette
JimmyC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching google images (for pictures) and all manner of forums, it doesn't seem like anyone else has had to do this?  Am I just unlucky, or is this modification such a "no brainer" that everyone else has just gone on and done it?
big

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy maybe you can go to e bay for a search such as GPS special for LC120,that may have what you wanted.
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Try these people
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/index.html. They do ariels for dab radios and might be able to suggest something

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
JimmyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 17:02    Post subject: Result Reply with quote

Toyota had a look at it, and couldn't work out what the problem was... they suggested it might be either the antenna amplifier or the radio itself.. neither a particularly cheap fix.

So I have spent the past weeks playing with things to try and work out what the problem was.  The latest idea being to put another headunit in (temporarily) and try a variety of amplified and non-amplified antennas.

I found that, powering (from a mains powered 12vdc adapter) a spare headunit with a separate antenna worked perfectly until the ignition was turned on... hangon (I thought) there is nothing connected to the vehicle and STILL the radio reception is rubbish when the ignition is on.

I then isolated every fuse in turn, until I tracked the problem down to the NavTV box.  This diverts the DVD player from the Headrests onto the Navigation screen.  Since I don't need this, I've taken it out, and now reception is fine.

I post this update here, because even though the Nav screen doesn't have anything to do with the antenna, I guess the circuit was radiating an RF signal that was inteferring with any radio within the proximity of the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: