4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Does a manual Colorado have an Lsd gearbox?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Does a manual Colorado have an Lsd gearbox? Reply with quote

How do I know if it has an Lsd or not, Im changing the oils and the gearbox oil I have is for a non Lsd box. Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we not edit posts on this forum? From having a little search around I read in another thread that the Uk colorados dont have an Lad, but the Jap Prado's do have an Lsd, is this correct? Do all Colorado's have no Lsd's? No Lsd front or rear? My colorado has a button to switch on the rear diff, so does that mean my rear axle has no Lsd?

Does the front gearbox have an Lsd though?
tim falce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither rear diff nor the the transmission have any lsd, they both have to be switched which means they are locked and the rear diff wont lock unless the centre diff is locked as well. The front diff has no lsd or or locker at all. That's for a UK spec 95 but not sure what Prados have.
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim falce wrote:
Neither rear diff nor the the transmission have any lsd, they both have to be switched which means they are locked and the rear diff wont lock unless the centre diff is locked as well. The front diff has no lsd or or locker at all. That's for a UK spec 95 but not sure what Prados have.

So my 1997 year Uk Colorado model has no Lsd's? Cheers for the help dude  Smile
Vagabond

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated UK 90s (i.e. Colorados) have a manually switched rear diff locker. The switch can be found on on the dash panel below the steering wheel  

The import 90s (i.e. Prados) have an automatic LSD fitted to the rear diff.

None of the 90s have front lockers as far as I know.
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP already answered well; but, just as an FYI...

You can use the same gear oil for the front diff, the rear diff, manual gearbox & transfer box if you use EP80W-90 GL5 spec.
Provided you can argue the drain & filler plugs off, the rear diff, transfer & manual gearbox are easy to do. The front diff is a sod, owing to the angle of dangle to get to the filler hole.

I maintain my sanity & knuckle skin by using a gearbox oil filler syringe thing...

And the mountain bike is used to prevent being the size of a house... (Wifes bakery business NOT GOOD for the waistline...  Wink )

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
Andy-H7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I brought a 1996 Prado a couple of years ago with 120k on the clock, there fitted with LSD's in the rear which wear out after about 50k miles, then they just run as an normal open diff same as the front end,
Unless your going to do some off roading it's not worth rebuilding the LSD diff, just leave it,
I thought I'd change mine & replace the hole back end (cos I could) & brought a complete axle from a breakers which came off a 2000 UK LC Colorado,
Took me a weekend to do & now have a Jap import 95 Prado with a UK Colorado Locking rear axle.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best answer is to jack the back end up, make sure handbrake is off (chock front wheels) and double check...

If you bought the vehicle 2nd hand you wont know if anyone has changed anything.... Some imports had LSD's but generally speaking if you have the diff lock button, it will be an open diff with diff lock...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: