All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

questions on biofuel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoSquall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11    Post subject: questions on biofuel Reply with quote

Guys! I own a prado 3.0 diesel.. engine is 1KZ-TE..

I need some expert help on veg oil as fuel altenative.. what is the difference between used veg oil and new veg oil? I've done some research on the net and there is alot of difference claims on the veg oil.. I've seen one of the old episode of TopGear where they added non-kerosene based white spirit to make it more runnier.. does it make a difference?

I live in Malaysia so extreme cold starting wont be a problem for me.

thanks in advance for your help Smile..
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ive used both used and new cooking oil mixed with a little parafine in a transit truck for about 3 years now, no problem at all, every now and then i either fill it up with diesel or give it an injector cleaner to lose all deposits left behind
rhine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lumpy, you can go 2 ways with vegetable oil, but first a word of warning. You run the risk of guming up injector pump and injectors, and disolving seals if you go at this without some thought.

You can use either Biodiesel, which is processed vegetable oil - new or old, or you can just use Waste Vegetable Oil.

If you go with Biodiesel, you can just mix it in with regular diesel in different concentrations. I have found no absolutes here, but am cutting regular diesel with 20% bio. Called B20. Am sure that I could put in more, but am taking it easy. The good news is that you don't have to mod your vehicle, the down side, is that you have to find a source, or make it yourself (not hard). BioD is a great cleaner, so expect to change your fuel filters a coupel of times when you change. I dropped a screwdriver into a bucket and left for a few days - soft handle goes like chewing gum. Hence the warning about seals

If you go SVO (straight Vegetable oil), you really need 2 tanks and a heater, there are systems for this. You start the engine on regular diesel, then switch to SVO, and then switch back as you are coming towards the end of your trip. The idea is not to leave any WVO in the lines.

I have gone bio, and am not worried if I have to have injectors and pump serviced in 40K miles or so if I must. Go for it!

I have a 1KZ-TE in a 1997 Colorado.

Cheers, Richard

Landcruiser Colorado 1997 VX TD Auto
London luke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have  a 2.4 1992. And am lookinmg at all the forums to get advice.
I ran my old Pug on a 80% new oil and 20% reg diesel. great !! But still had some issues in the cold.

need to save my fuel costs. so am looking at running this parado on a oil mix.Spoke to one local guy who runs his landcruiser on 100% oil and reccons he doesnt have any worries. His is a old one like mine. maybe the older ones are better??

Doing a search in the huge Chinese cash and carries to see what the prices are like ? Reccon on 50p a litre" Not going down the 3 litre bottle route a sI reccon its a waste of time!! so looking for the 20 litre containers. Even if I save 30% a year it will be good !
London luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

£11.40 for 20 litres. best I can find.
London luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

£11.25

And Ive mixed 60 litres of it with 20 litres of diesel . You can smell it for sure !! but not in the car when driving. Only on idle when I am outside.

But what a load of agro, lifting th econtainers up to the Funnel etc and trying to hold both in place !! next time will wear some old overalls !!

But have a plan to ease filling and to stop the smell.  Bit more expensive but less agro?  Wink  Wink  Wink
bigalan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i have my thick mode on here, is it possible to say have half a tank of normal Shell Diesel in my 2000 colorado 3.0TD and then just chuck in vegtable oil, say 10 litres and it works? or any other oil of some description? provided that the vast majority of fuel is proper diesel?

If this is the case then its off to sainsburys for me.

Thanks
Alan
London luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Alan

Sainsburys !!! Find your local chinese cash and carry. Much cheaper. But you will find the smell a bit much at first ! I paid under £13.00 each. so unless your supermarket can beat that it a lot cheaper than diesel !

I have been runing mine all week on my "mix" I reccon its only worth it if you use 20 litres min. You will need a BIG funnel and some one to hold it. still not sure if I fancy a 100% oil car. I thing the diesel is required because it will have some adetives etc that will assist the general running of th eengine?

I would reccomend you buy a new filter kit cheap from e bay (I've been looking and they ar eunder £20.00 for genuine toyota parts) this way the filter shouldnt be a issue with any build up ??

also yours is a far more expensive car than mine!!

Get use to people looking weird at traffic lights and in queues !! the smell makes them wonder whats going on !
bigalan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you have got me thinking, so this is standard vegtable oil from the shop? I have a large funnel no prob and i know a guy who owns a fish and chip shop but i guess this is contaminated oil. So i just lob in 20 litres on top of half a tank of normal diesel and off i go?

I dont use the car for local stuff but mainly runsl ike today of 120 miles in a round trip.

Thanks
London luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

for gods sake dont use "used" cooking oil ! For one I think this would block th efilters etc and secondly the smell would be horrific !

Its not for me to say use it. I dont hav eany experience of your car .
lumpy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, used oil is fine, filter it twice through a old pair of tights first, as for the smell, it s like fried bread, but works just as well as new, used is often for nothing as well, i get 75 litres every week from my local chippy!, any oilworks, peanut, sunflower, or vegetable
London luke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy

do you not get any issues/problems with starting on very cold days etc? also do you reccon the filters need to be changed more often?

love the fried bread bit !!
lumpy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi luke mix 75% oil to diesel no probs at all even this weather.
London luke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what I reccon. Find for the first min they car is low on power and a bit lumpy (not that cold) once going its fine.

I have friends that can supply me with 60litres of oil a week. just thinking about how to be efficent filtering it etc. Maybe some sort of stand to hold the 20 litre containers and a custom built huge funnel with  good filters.

I like the idea of saving ££ this will pay for the car to be serviced and have a good holiday each year!!
lumpy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke, all i done was filter the oil by just pouring into a funnel through a pair of old tights , do this twice, and it is fine  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: