2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

questions on biofuel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London luke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy.... Any particular type ?? !!!!! Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Supra,Sean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a 70%Oil - 30%Diesel mix all year round my local costco is £10 for 20 ltrs or the big supermarkets do 3ltr for about £1:20 - £1:39 per ltr but P I T A to fill up and the bin man gives you funny looks runs a little lumpy on real cold mornings but manual throttle till she warms and she runs sweet as a nut I service every 3000 miles anyway with Fleabay stuff and not had a problem with it yet £15 for all the filters and HGV oil from shell  Very Happy

The down side is any one following you has to keep stopping to eat as they keep getting hungry for some strange reason  Laughing
London luke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend  to "assist in " cheaper Diesel to keep the costs real low !!
bigalan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the usual 3.0TD Colorado and this weekend am going to half fill the car with BP Diesel and then top the rest up with Vegtable oil, anyone have a particular brand they use so i dont go and get the wrong type? I have a f**k off big fulnnel and my bruv is a bin man so can lose the containers.

Is it just veg oil i can tip in or anything else?

Thanks
Alan
London luke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Al
I think soya and rape seed are ment to be "Iffy" just go for standard vegtable oil. I still found my engine to be lumpy for about 3 mins this morning but turned choke up a fraction and that cured it. I am sticking to running no stronger than 80% oil. A friend runs 100% and claims no issues... I reccon he must be lucky !

when I start it needs the throttle pressing which it did not before and for 20 seconds I can press the gas right down and the car wont pull away... its like its getting fuel starvation>?
bigalan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this, i intend to run my car on no more than a 50/50 splt as i dont want to risk anything, also will change all the filters and oil every 3k miles, i do it now every 5k.

So its off to the warehouse for me.

Thanks
Alan
MattF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wish people would at least point out caveats with methods rather than just saying you'll be fine.

Firstly, rapeseed is the preferable SVO to use. It is merely down to the iodine content and other factors.

Secondly, if you are going to use WVO, be aware of the consequences. You need to double filter it to get the impurities to a usable size, but you would also be better leaving it to stand for a week or two first to let any solids and water separate from the oil. Also, be aware that you have no idea as to what the other impurities are. There are a lot of impurities that could be in WVO that may cause problems later on. Fats being one. Acidity levels will also be unknown, unless you do suitable tests.

With regards to SVO, a 50/50 mix will probably work fine at this time of year, possibly even a 70/30 mix. Any higher, however, and you most definitely need some form of fuel heater to prevent problems. VO needs to be heated to approx 80 degrees plus to achieve characteristics similar to diesel, which is why the coolant system is usually used as the heating method. Also, make sure you change the fuel filter after the first several tanks of VO. It will clean a lot of crud out of the fuel system, especially the tank.
JIFFY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 22:53    Post subject: vegy oil Reply with quote

hi all if you are going to run on vegy oil beware of the effect this will have on the pump seals the pump on the landcruiser can be run on a 50-50 mix but eventuly the pump seals will leak price to replace 250 plus vat if you decide to run on mix this needs to be done propaly for every 5 gallon of veg oil mix half a gallon of parafin and quarter gallon unleded petrol plus two gallon diesel mix in a plastic rain but with tap in the bottom olso add cetain booster plus a good injector cleaner mix all together in rain but with a paddle the idear is to get the viscosity as near to diesel as possable so there is no strain on the pump i have built my own fuel station in the garden shed wich concistes of two diesel fuel filters and a charcoal water trap to remove water or moisture used oil is the cheepest and easy to filter i use a pump wich fitts onto a electric hand dril to pump the fuel through the filters the landcruiser runs sweat as a nut no cold starting problems alter the mix in very cold weather hope this helps
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 14:27    Post subject: Re: questions on biofuel Reply with quote

NeoSquall wrote:
Guys! I own a prado 3.0 diesel.. engine is 1KZ-TE..

I need some expert help on veg oil as fuel altenative.. what is the difference between used veg oil and new veg oil? I've done some research on the net and there is alot of difference claims on the veg oil.. I've seen one of the old episode of TopGear where they added non-kerosene based white spirit to make it more runnier.. does it make a difference?

I live in Malaysia so extreme cold starting wont be a problem for me.

thanks in advance for your help Smile..
here in UK.

mix 60 liters new veg. oil. (the cheapest you can get) and top it with 120 liters parrafin (kerosene).

this is done in a 200 liter drum, with a small pump for pumping circulation, or pumping out to tank.

The KZ-T will run very smooth, with no difference in fuel consumption as compared to road diesel.
JIFFY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 22:05    Post subject: vegy oil Reply with quote

parafin is ilegal to put in fuel tank if stopped by the lovely men from hm customs you are in shit can have jeep conviscated
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumpy wrote:
yeah, used oil is fine, filter it twice through a old pair of tights first, as for the smell, it s like fried bread, but works just as well as new, used is often for nothing as well, i get 75 litres every week from my local chippy!, any oilworks, peanut, sunflower, or vegetable
NO WAY is old tights good enough to filter !!!!

You must get a filter housing and 5 micron sediment filter.
Do the filtering right, or regret it.

I won't dare use oil that has been filtered through tights, just not fine enough.
Leslie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to his own , a lot of truths on here .

www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk
muddymanok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of trying bio for a while now, but like so many I'm a little ignorant to the facts, my other toy is a series 3 landrover with a 200Tdi diesel engine which I shall try bio on, I have a friend who uses 100% veg oil in his landrover with no issues, when I enquired about using it in my 3.0TD Prado 1997 I was advised not to due to the modern characteristics of the pump, I put £90 of fuel in last week and decided there and then I must try something !
   So, has anyone used a 50/50 veg oil mix with this engine for over a year (lengthy trial period) and what have the pro's and con's been ? and what method did you use ?
   As for the smell after filtering through a pair of old tights, are you sure it was the fishy oil ? or just unwashed ladies tights ?lol Laughing
Nick.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi muddy,

To start with, is yours the KZ 3.0 l or the common rail jobbie?
DJR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:

I won't dare use oil that has been filtered through tights, just not fine enough.

I know what you're saying, but isn't that what the fuel filter's for?

1996 3.0 tdi Prado Import.  Gone!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: