Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What do the 4WD buttons actually do...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:05    Post subject: What do the 4WD buttons actually do...? Reply with quote

I have a '94 3.0L Prado SX (KZJ78W) here in Uganda (imported from Japan) and am wondering what the 4WD dash buttons physically do.  I have been told that in order to activate 4WD I need to push both but then that make me think why are there 2 buttons?  So to clarify I have on my 2nd shift lever the following positions H-N-L4 and the 1st dash buttons is marked 'Hublock' and 2nd 'H4'
Any help and clarification appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

London luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys !!

help us newbies out

Cheers
warthog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your newly acquired wonderwagon.  It normally runs in 2-wheel drive, but as I understand it and use it, the H4 button takes you out of 2-wheel drive and into 4-wheel when in High box (H) by locking the front differential. If the going gets really sticky, by pressing the Hub Lock button, you send a little current to the front wheel hubs which drives a little motor to lock the hubs, thus giving you all four wheels driving. It's best not to turn the vehicle too tightly or quickly when in this configuration, and don't forget to disengage when the conditions are normal below the wheels. This configuration also increases the fuel consumption significantly.

The second gear-shift- like stick allows you to select high or low box and in low, you will automatically be in 4-wheel drive ( hence L4); again, if the going gets slippy. select hub lock.

On the right side of the normal gear stick is the overdrive on and off button. If you have overdrive selected OFF, an orange warning panel will show just above the  selector stick. I usually notice it when I have nudged the button by mistake with my left knee.

It's probably not essential, but I always stop and select N on the normal gear shift before selecting any change to the drive train settings. More knowledgeable members will know the speed limitations on making changes - I don't, so I just play safe!

I normally drive in 2-wheel with overdrive selected. When I go in fields which are a bit wet, I select H4; if the ground is very muddy, I may lock the hubs. When I am climbing mountains over seriously wet and rough terrain, I drive in low box with the hubs locked; if it's very steep and slippery, I will engage 1st gear and do everything at about 2000 rpm. If the hill is steep, use this selection for coming down again!

You may also have a rear diff lock: the selector knob will be below the dash to the left of the steering column. That locks the rear diff and is of great help when the going is really muddy or rutted like on bush roads in the rainy season. Just use it to haul yourself out and then disengage it.

When you select the H4 button, there are no tell-tale lights; if you select H4 and Hub Lock, two green tell-tales will show. Similarly, in L4 with Hub Lock, the greens will show. If you see three greens, you are no longer in the Landcruiser but the gear is down and locked and you are safe to land!

Good luck!
London luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterB

everyone in this coffee shop wants to know why I am laughing my head off. great bit of humour.

cheers for the advice.

car is booked into "Scorpion Racing" next week for a "once over"

Luke
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sound like a smart *beep*, but you will not be in 4WD without locking the free wheeling hubs, as I understand it anyway.

Selecting 4WD without locking the hubs will just have the drive shafts turning without doing any turning of the wheels.

I found this http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/4wd.htm which explains all.
London luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fpr advice.

I just want to ensure i dont break anything!! But wouldnt mind 4x4 on tarmac /hard mud etc?? is this totaly impossible with out a diff lock etc.

Might want to green lane on hard mud etc and think it would be better in 4x4 rather tham 4x2

confused still ....but getting there !!
London luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

see the confusion !!!

This is why I reccon info like this is so important and should be one of the main issues to be confirmed.
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

London luke wrote:
Cheers fpr advice.

I just want to ensure i dont break anything!! But wouldnt mind 4x4 on tarmac /hard mud etc?? is this totaly impossible with out a diff lock etc.

Might want to green lane on hard mud etc and think it would be better in 4x4 rather tham 4x2

confused still ....but getting there !!

You need a center diff to have permanent 4WD

Quote:

Axle/Transmission Windup

When a 4WD is traveling in a straight line all four wheels rotate at the same speed, but during cornering each wheel travels at a different speed due to the radius of the turn. All vehicles have a differential on the front and rear axles to allow the wheels on the same axle to rotate at a different speed. Constant 4WD’s have a central differential fitted  to allow for different speeds between front and back wheels, but most part-time four wheel drives do not.

When a part-time 4WD (without a center differential) is in 4WD an attempts to corner on bitumen, all wheels need to rotate at different speeds, but without a centre differential they cannot. This creates the phenomena called "axle windup" or "transmission windup". High strain is placed on the drive shafts and transmission, eventually causing one of two things to happen. Either one of the wheels slips or spins to overcome the stress or the drive-shaft/transmission breaks. This is why part time 4WD’s should never select 4WD on paved surfaces.

Constant 4WD’s have a central differential within the transmission to overcome this problem. However once in the dirt a constant four wheel drive can be bogged with only one wheel spinning. This is why they have a central differential lock that stops the action of the center diff and makes it like a part-time four wheel drive in 4WD mode. The center diff lock should never be used on paved roads or non-slip surfaces for the reasons mentioned above.

In reality, a 4WD is only a two wheel drive with one front and one back wheel driving when traction is lost. One wheel on each axle spins while the other receives no drive at all due to the action of the differential. The exception to this is when a limited slip or locking differential is installed. A limited slip diff allows a limited amount of drive to be applied to the stationary wheel before the other wheel on the same axle spins. A locking diff allows no slip at all and both wheels on the same axle turn at the same speed, regardless of the amount of traction.

I hope that makes sence Smile
London luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ok to use hi 4x4 on the road with the hubs locked ??

Just took it for  a late night drive up some grass hills behind my local tescos !! Interesting on more road style tyres than big chunky jobs !! But auto gear b0x was excellent.

I like this car !
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

London luke wrote:
so ok to use hi 4x4 on the road with the hubs locked ??

No........... it's not ok  Smile
London luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont seem to have a diff lock. just the hub lock.  so how do people get better traction in the wet etc on a road if they are pulling something or car is loaded up and they want the added traction??

Or is hard packed mud etc still different from tarmac and this is ok??

I' will undertsnad in the end !! Laughing
warthog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 24Seven: Thanks for the supplementary info! Now I understand why there is no light when just H4 is selected. This is such a great site for learning things - thanks, guys!
London luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...... to  just have the car in 2x4 what is the best settings?? Can the stick just be in neutral ???

I bet its real easy in "real life"  grasping off a laptop is not that good for me !!!!

justy finding it strange that I cant use 4x4 on normal road??

Still ...greast info and it wont take long before I understand.

Most important is I give the correct info on my Prado. It doeas not have  adiff lock control.
London luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

also at what speed (id any) can the 4x4 be operated in a 1992 prado

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: