NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Why does my auto sound as if it should change up a gear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London luke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Why does my auto sound as if it should change up a gear? Reply with quote

noticed it today. (Overdrive is on and ECT off) when cruising about 50-55 etc I think maybe there is another gear to go into >> ??

Its only doing about 2100 RPM etc (which to me is good) but still feels as if it would love another gear!

is it me , the car or what??

cheers !!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

60mph should be just a whisker over 2000 revs

Joinerman
London luke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

so its me?

But I am only 43 and still have my own hair and teeth. Why am I going mad and hearing things?? Wink

"scorpion Racing" get there hands on it tomorrow for a good look over. It will be nice to get their report as it will put me in the picture more.

cheers
mr chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mentioned this about my own landy in another post somewhere?  Yes mine too seems like there should be another gear it should go into!
I also find it quite annoying as on the flat it is waisting so much fuel.  Evil or Very Mad   Although the gear box is silky smooth up and down I am not sure how many gears it actually has  Question   I'm sure the box is supposed to be a 4 speed auto with overdrive, so that makes a total of 5 gears ?  so in that case why is it when only doing 40 mph and I switch off overdrive the car immediately drops a gear and when I am doing around 50 mph it changes into top gear.  It also seems to have intermediate gears when it does change up in the higher gears it seems to go onto a half a gear extra then while the speed is increasing another 3-5mph it finally goes into the fixed gear as if it's testing to see if the gear it changed into is the right one.  I just find that very odd.   Exclamation   Other than that I'm very happy with it's performance except for cold starting which is slightly only very slightly tempermental.  It won't start unless I depress the accelerator the same way a petrol car starts.  But this should have no effect on a diesel as there is no pumping extra fuel into the engine with the efi setup!  Once started it gives out a small cloud of smoke then after about 10-15 seconds settles down and is smooth as silk which is another odd enterty?

chris.

Birmingham
andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gearbox should be 3 speed + overdrive, and what you are saying about it changing at 50 mph or over is the torque convertor locking up, on my Surf this happens just under 55 mph.

Read this to explain it better.   http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv/techasmt/ecep/auto/f/f.htm
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
London luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: