All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Help with no start on 1993 3.0 TD 1KZ-TE Prado

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gandalf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot get that KZJ 70 file downloaded  Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 21:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gandalf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the glow-plug bulb and it definitely operates... another indicator of an ecu issue. The ecu also seems to have had all the caps replaced recently already, so I won't likely try and replace them again. I will go over the traces with my microscope and see if I can spot any other faults. I did order a newer model IKZ ecu with the same plug configuration of 26 - 16 - 22 pins (175800-1723,89661-60560)... I hope it isn't locked out etc or too incompatible as far as tranny (OD etc) operation.

Still cannot get that KZJ 70 file downloaded (no peers available)... hard to believe I cannot find a single source to indicate to me where the CEL is located on this dash. There is a small round light that is labelled "T-belt" at the bottom of the speedo gauge, it flashes as you turn the engine over. There is another small round light in the RPM gauge underneath the 6(000) RPM number, with an engine symbol beside it... perhaps that is it? Bit odd though... and it stays off no matter what.
oldblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my KZJ-71-TE for 15 years and have never found that  check light. I did have the OD light start flashing a code when the speedo cable was disconnected.
warthog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light by the T Belt comes on 100000km after it was last reset, usually on change of the belt. It is reset by pushing in the little pin under the rubber blanking grommet to the side through the glass front of the panel. I can't imagine why it should come on when you turn over the engine. The one with the engine symbol is the usual engine problem warner.
Gandalf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any tidbits of info.
Gandalf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblue wrote:
I have had my KZJ-71-TE for 15 years and have never found that  check light. I did have the OD light start flashing a code when the speedo cable was disconnected.
What and where is the "OD" light? Overdrive? to indicate if the OD is selected off? That would be odd to be wired as a CEL...
oldblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the left side of the steering wheel , two lights, one for OD and one for ECT which comes on when the button for the ECT s pressed.
( Having trouble loading pix )
Gandalf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, thanks.

However, new ecu arrived (175800-1723,89661-60560). yay! This has made an expected difference in the warning/operation lights:

-Now the glow plug light comes on for a second, then is out (seems normal). I however do not measure any voltage at the bar that goes to all 4 glow plugs.
-CEL is indeed the small round light under the RPM gauge near the engine symbol. It is on during ignition, and flashes a CEL code (do not know what code it is yet) when in diagnostic mode.

So now it seems I need to see why no voltage spike at the glowplugs.
Gandalf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I am getting two diagnostic codes from the ecu, code 32 (Injection Pump correction system malfunction)... and a code 99, which does not seem to have a description anywhere...

Looking at the first code, 32, examining the voltages arriving at the two Injection pump resistors, VRP (inj pump #2) seems normal, fed by a green wire with black stripe, reading 2.4v (with ground of voltage meter connected to E2), but VRT is reading 11.9 volts.

Unfortunately the IKZ PDF I have is for a 1999 Hilux, and seems to perhaps have different wiring connections at the ecu... for example, although VRP is located at plug E5 - 6, VRT is fed by the E5 - 7 (11.9v, green-white striped wire), whereas in the Hilux PDF it indicates that VRT should be fed from E5 - 14 (this E5 - 14 wire appears blue with silver flecks).

Can anybody email me a correct IKZ-TE PDF that would correspond to a 1993-ish Landcruiser? That way I can ascertain if I need to make any wiring changes to work with this ecu.

Thanks as always for reading guys.
Gandalf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across the following codes added to the newer IKZ-TE ecu's...
96 = EGR valve lift sensor.
99 = Engine immobilizer.

So it seems this ecu has an immobilizer function... and it is showing up in the diagnostic code so I assume it is working. Hmmm... what do I have to do to defeat that?
Gandalf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where the spill control valve relay is located?
Gandalf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I solved the code 32, now the only code that remains is code 99. There is also no fuel during cranking at the injectors.

I basically am re-pinning the ecu harness so that the 1998-ish ecu will work with this 1993 harness... the only reference I can find anywhere that seems to jive with the wiring I see in the harness (VRP and VRT were pinned at B6 and B7...) is the following 1993 Surf pinout:

And compare that to the 1999 IKZ-TE pinout:

There may be issues that cannot be resolved in this manner, but I'll see how far I get.
Gandalf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also comparing to the KZN_185 pinout (lots of similarities):
(Ignore the red arrows)

Then when combined, and pins moved to where the ecu is outputting those particular signals, I get this (Yellow are the ones that I had to move, the beige one I had to combine IG power leads to make room... they were connected somewhere down the line anyway etc). Some I don't know about, and some will have to stay unconnected:

I wonder what the ecu is expecting at the IMI and IMO pins (or is it outputting something?) for "transponder key computer". Immobilizer, I take it?
Gandalf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today I only had a brief window of opportunity, but I relocated the A17 harness pin (E6-17, OIL-W) straight above to the A6 position, which should now be correctly connecting the ecu OIL-W signal with the OIL-W light, and vacating (disconnecting) any contact with the A17 ecu pinout (IMI). This has now cleared the code 99, and the ecu diagnostics is now free of all codes. This ecu, although equipped with immobilizer capability, is likely not  zoned for activated immobilizer lockout, and as long as no unexpected signal/connectivity or grounding is present, the ecu is free, clear and usable.

There is some sweating of diesel fuel at the connector directly on top of the injection pump, so I am guessing that it is receiving fuel from the tank on cranking. I did not recheck to see if any fuel is being sent to injectors, but since still no catching, I assume not. Power is still present at glowplugs with IGN-on, so slowly but surely I am eliminating the hangups. Ran out of time...
Gandalf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I identified the Spill Control Valve Relay. It tested fine. It seems the issue is with the signals coming from the ecu, at least as far as the 1999 1KZ-TE manual goes  Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: