All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Just how OFF ROAD is a automatic prado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 23:53    Post subject: Just how OFF ROAD is a automatic prado? Reply with quote

bearing in mind the auto box and auto locking hubs etc but no diff locks. using good tyres etc. Just how good is it off road?? I might be Mountainbiking in the alps etc and want to drive up all the tracks etc (used by other 4x4's etc).

to what extent are they limited? and what is the best type of off road that these are suited for?

cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 23:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tonka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
sorry cant help Luke
but hope somebody can, as this would be of great interest to me also
everyone keeps sneering when i tell them it's an auto Sad

come on  guys , anybody know?

ek 8)
London luke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto's must be good. I llived in iceland for 7 months and most of the serious off roaders where autos. Also in dubai et cthey tend to only use autos.

Like someone said.. you dont want to dump the clutch or be messing with gears when your 5 inches from a drop !!
warthog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref your present question, see my previous suggestions on using the 4- wheel and hub locks in both high and low boxes (with later addenda on the system by others). I used to be a Landrover fan, but since I discovered the ecstasy of the Landcruiser family, I could never consider going back! I've taken both my Prados (a K reg 2.4 LJ78 and an N reg 3 litre KZJ 78) in places (and out of them!) where my Landy would probably have failed or I would not have considered taking it. I use the 2.4 particularly for heavy, dirty work, carrying loads of bags of grain, deer carcases, gash hands and four labradors,too. The 3 litre is a bit cleaner - it belongs to the madam, but for posh days on the moor, it gets used.
Just go and try it, don' be afraid. it's a very rugged and efficient off-roader!
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of 4x4 competition vehicles are autos, only real downside can be a lack of engine brakeing on descents, but from what you describe that won't be a problem. Make sure the hubs are locked BEFORE you need them, and just drive with a big grin on your face, you can go anywhere a shogun/ discovery etc will go, and a LOT further than a BMW X5, Merc ML, RR Sport will go.
London luke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers

what worries me is all this talk of NEVER ever using Hi 4 on the road?? I cant get over this. What about towing etc

is this correct
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never say never,  Confused , because you have whats termed a part time 4x4 system you don't have a center diff, what this means is on hard dry tarmac you can get a situation where the front wheels are fighting against the rear wheels ( transmision wind up). If you are driving on loose gravel, sand , mud, etc then it is ok to use Hi 4, just don't use it on tarmac etc unless its very very slippery, eg, lots of snow, mud.
London luke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ... no centre diff means I am ok to use Hi4 etc for towing or very bad rain etc ? The diff wind up issue doesnt aplply on my prado?

cheers
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't use H4 for towing on wet roads, the fact you don't have a centre diff means trans wind up will affect your car, a centre diff stops wind up thats why only permanant four wheel drives have a centre diff, the centre diff lock basicaly makes a permanant 4x4 the same as your car when in H4 or L4, so that they will also suffer wind-up if used on hard surfaces, Eg tarmac/ concrete. Clear as mud now??, sorry wish I was better at explaining things. normaly when towing on the road even when very wet 2wd is fine. Try putting your car into H4 and drive slowly round a car park, don't do any full lock turns , but even so you will feel the strange way the car feels, and realise that at higher speed this may not be the best of things.
London luke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it !! (at last !)

so with good tyres etc I can be safe in 2 wheel drive.

What about hard mud etc but real steep etc . Or off road driving where the terrain is hard but 4x4 is required. I drove in Morocco years ago and the dry clay/mud was rock hard but the tracks etc required 4x4??

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: