NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado using veg oil?

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigalan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 21:05    Post subject: Colorado using veg oil? Reply with quote

I have a 3.0L Turbo Diesel Colorado from the 2000 vintage year on a W reg, does anybody know what type of engine i have? I have heard stories that Veg oil can be mixed with diesel and work ok, but not with later engines, onlythe earlier ones, anybody have an idea?

Thanks Alan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 21:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lift man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be ok ,,but you will loose your motor if you get caught.
radiomans

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows that then ?????
rhine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 97 3l TD and is a 1KZ-TE, but this is designation is clearly visible on the top of the engine.

Hapily run a mix of Bio and Mineral diesel with no bother.

Landcruiser Colorado 1997 VX TD Auto
rhine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 97 3l TD and is a 1KZ-TE, but this is designation is clearly visible on the top of the engine.

Hapily run a mix of Bio and Mineral diesel with no bother.

Landcruiser Colorado 1997 VX TD Auto
Mungodog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know a fair bit about this from pajeros. Veg oil is legal if it is declared to C+E so you pay duty on it. There are however moves afoot to make light use legal. If you register with C+E and complete form E103 every month, then you can use it legally.

As to whether or not landcruisers like it, I only picked mine up last night, but most pajeros run fine on a sensible mix of SVO and diesel. Smile
woodelf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - if you are at all concerned about potential engine damage there are conversion kits you can have installed that will ensure it will run problem free on SVO.  I have been considering having this done to my W reg Colorado - quite pricey but should pay for itself eventually.
Pls pst any experiences ref. same.
Cheers.
Mungodog

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viscosity of SVO and diesel are different. Not trying to put you off, but this can lead to problems with pump seals and leaking pumps if using SVO.

Kits are available - there's lots out there. These are basically to ensure the VO is up to temperature before going into the engine and possibly gumming it up.

If you do try it (with or without a kit) change the fuel filter regularly to start with.

Many report much smoother running with SVO, and some more mpg and power.

Loads about this on the sister site, pocuk.co.uk under alternative fuels, well worth a read.  Smile
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:41    Post subject: Cost of fuel Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but with the price of diesel reaching critical, I need to do something. It would appear that conventional wisdom says that mixing veggie oil and diesel 50% should be fine with no mods. If we had a real deep winter freeze, it might get a little waxy I guess, but that's another issue. My problem is where to get oil from. I went into Tesco yesterday, and it's £1 per litre. Hardly a significant saving. I need to get it to about 80p to make a real saving. Can you use used oil from a chippy that has been through a fine filter? I mixed up a litre yesterday just to see if there is any separation etc. Seems fine. Will stick it in the fridge next.

OK - I get the issues about changing fuel filters more often and that if C&E caught you there would be trouble. Well frankly, being a law abiding person is getting me nowhere fast. Time for action. If a trial works well, I'll fill the paperwork in then.

1. Is used oil as good?
2. Where's a source of discount veg oil and what sort of price?

LC
nordic venture

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:13    Post subject: Re: Cost of fuel Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Well frankly, being a law abiding person is getting me nowhere fast.
LC

laughing3  i like that.

off the top of my head, veg oil at around £1/ltr mixed 50/50 with mineral diesel will save you about £10 for a full tank. it soon adds up you know.

so how about filling up in tesco's car park instead of tesco's filling station.

also what sort of veg oil? would pure virgin olive oil make your engine healthier? Laughing

actually i'm quite interested. does anyone have any more information?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 14:36    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

I'm going to have a worg with my Greek kebab man in the village. I bet that he has to pay to have waste oil taken away. If it's OK when filtered, I could help him to save money by taking it for free so he doesn't have to get rid of it. The 4x4 is only my play toy, so I wouldn't be using gallons and gallons. Maybe only 10 fill ups per year. He may be able to supply me with new oil at a good price.

LC
andy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can filter WVO and use it as long as no meats have been cooked in it, so best to get it from a Chip shop.

The stuff about Customs does not apply now, you can use up to 2500 ltrs without registering, but you are required by law to keep records for 6 years.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:07    Post subject: Well oil be! Reply with quote

Andy - You de man! Many thanks for that gem.

I already have records going back more than 30 years - Deep Purple, Led Zep, Rush. Will they do?

Well, I'm up for a trial on this. Not sure about the meat free oil. Chippy cooks sausages in there. Hang one - there's no meat in those! Trust me, I've eaten them.

Going to ask Mr Kebab for a price on 25lt drums of SVO. Will report back.

LC
andy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make one of these in the next few weeks  http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor5.html I have a source of WVO that has only been used for chips, the problem with wvo that has had meat cooked in it is that you get other fats that are not good for your fuel system.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:25    Post subject: Facts on fat. Reply with quote

Never mind the fuel system - think of your arteries!

Thought about BF manufacture myself. Missus NOT amused. Just chucked out a perfectly good central heating tank too!

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: