2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser Prado 120 2003 Rough idle and clunking noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boyd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 14:25    Post subject: Landcruiser Prado 120 2003 Rough idle and clunking noise Reply with quote

Hello,
I’m new to this forum and new to landcruiser ownership. I’ve just purchased a 2003 Landcruiser Prado 120 with full service history and a 197,000 miles. I’ve recently had it checked by a mechanic and they said there was nothing they could see wrong with it. However when it gets up to temperature it idles really rough and it has an awful squeaking noise when slowing down or on idle. This noise disappears as soon as any revs are applied. I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and might know how to solve it. Just it doesn’t do it when it’s cold only when it’s up to temp. I’ve also experienced a kind of clunking noise/ feeling when pulling away and slowing down and I can’t tell where it’s coming from. Has anyone experienced this before just my mechanic said it didn’t do it when he drove it from cold. Also in start stop traffic it almost sounds like it’s going to stall but the Rev counter doesn’t actually drop or anything. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do have a video of it but I’m not sure how to upload it on here.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 14:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Boyd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 14:50    Post subject: Video Links for noise Reply with quote

it won't let me post the links but if anyone wants to hear the noise I should be able to message you them.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the rough idling, you'll need to get it diagnosed properly by either the Toyota dealer or someone with Techstream (especially to check injectors values at that mileage), squeaking could be anything you'll have to pinpoint it.

Note unless you have proof the cambelt has been changed recently, the 2nd renewal was due at 180k, assuming its Diesel its an easy change (some good videos on youtube) one of the easiest cambelts to change on any engine ever made, even if you don't want to change it yet for some reason make sure someone removes the cam cover (6 x 10mm bolts) and has a good look at its condition.

Clunk could be many things, CV joint is one possibility, but these motors are known for dry propshafts causing a clunk as you come to a halt, don't overgrease the sliding prop splines or you can cause pressure in the sliding part of the prop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: